The Lake

ty all for over 200 votes!!! i can't even stress how happy the support makes me :)))
this one is not great tbh but i liked the plot concept
hope u enjoy, love u guys sm <3

- Harry thinks Draco is in trouble in the lake, so he goes to save him - 

word count: 1063

The great lake at Hogwarts was one of the school's many, many mysteries. Draco had always loved water, and found himself drawn to it. He spent a countless amount of time staring out at it, wondering what was beneath the surface. He was so interested in it that he became dead set on finding out. 

So there he was, standing on the side of the water, a small jar of gillyweed held in his hand. It was the evening, and the sun was starting to set. He had finally been able to nab it from Snape's office after days of planning. He was extremely excited about what he was going to do. He gently placed the jar on the ground, beginning to strip off his clothes. Once he was left in only his boxers, Draco unscrewed the jar. He stared at it nervously for a moment, before dumping the contents into his mouth. The taste was mildly unpleasant as he chewed, and he pulled a face. He managed to swallow it, nose wrinkling. He winced as he felt gills form on his neck, and his fingers and toes became webbed. He stared in awe, breaking out into a grin. He took a deep breath, and dove into the water. His breath was taken away, not because of the water thanks to the gillyweed, but because of the sights the lake held. Plants swayed gracefully under the water and rocks and shells laid scattered across the floor. He saw creatures darting around in the distance. Excitedly, Draco swam forwards to get a better look.

Unfortunately, Harry was out of the loop. Harry knew that Draco often came to watch the lake, so he often came to watch Draco. He had been crushing on the Slytherin for quite some time, and enjoyed seeing him out there. It felt like he was in his company. Today as different. Draco usually looked longingly into the water, maybe bringing a book or notepad every once in a while. Today, Draco had removed nearly all his clothes. Harry felt a bit weird staring, so he averted his eyes momentarily once Draco had undressed. When he looked back, Draco then jumped into the lake. Harry watched nervously for him to resurface, but he didn't. Surely he would come up for air, right? Harry watched the water, and nearly two minutes went by. Still nothing. What if he got attacked by a grindylow? A merperson? The giant squid?? He could have drowned! Harry considered going in after him, but hesitated. The panic bubbling in his stomach overrode everything else.

"Fuck it." Harry muttered to himself, hastily shrugging off his robes. He needed to go help Draco, and now. Harry finished removing his clothes until he too was in his boxers. He desperately tried to remember the bubble head charm, surprising himself when he did it on his second try. He sprinted towards the water, wand in hand. He splashed into the lake, being grateful that the bubble charm had worked. He looked around, but Draco was nowhere to be found. He lit up his wand with lumos and swam forwards, keeping his eyes peeled. He looked down, stomach dropping when he spotted a body. He swam forwards as fast as he could, identifying that it was in fact Draco. 'Please be okay, please be okay' He thought to himself worriedly. He approached Draco, and noticed his webbed feet. Draco didn't seem to be unconscious, he was laid on the floor of the lake lazily, arms resting behind his head and legs crossed. His eyes were shut, he looked peaceful. Harry hesitated, realizing his mistake. Draco stirred at the sound of Harry and opened his eyes. He jolted in surprise, eyes wide.

"Harry?" He exclaimed, barely making a sound, and more just expelling bubbles from his mouth. Harry pointed up, signaling Draco to go to the surface. The both floated upwards.

Before Harry had arrived, Draco was having the time of his life. He had been fascinated by the contents of the lake, and decided to take a rest. The water felt very peaceful, so he drifted to the bottom and shut his eyes. Finding Harry bloody Potter in the water with him was nothing short of a shock. Once they both reached the surface of the water, he gaped at Harry.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. He wasn't mad, just surprised. 

"First of all, are you okay?" Harry asked, face a mixture of worry and embarrassment. Draco blinked. Harry was worried about him? He tried not to blush. 

"I'm fine. Let's go back to land for a bit, yeah?" He put forth, as the treading water was quite awkward. Harry nodded and they swam back in silence. Harry climbed out of the water and flopped onto the grass, panting. He vanished the bubble charm as Draco pulled himself from the lake. They laid next to each other on their backs in silence for a minute, catching their breath.

"So why did you follow me out there?" Draco asked again. Harry let out a long sigh.

"I saw you go in and didn't see you come up, so I thought you might have gotten hurt." He said quietly. Draco felt butterflies in his stomach. "Gillyweed?" Harry asked. Draco let out a small chuckle.

"Yeah." He responded, a smile making his way onto his face. "You were worried about me? And wanted to save me?" He teased. Harry laughed.

"Shut up, Malfoy." He said fondly. Silently, Draco reached towards Harry and put his hand over his. Harry grasped Draco's hand, and they both smiled up at the sky. He couldn't exactly intertwine their fingers because of Draco's webbed hands, but it was still nice. As many times and they'd both imagined holding hands, none of them went like this. Neither of them seemed to mind.

"It's beautiful in there." Draco commented, and Harry hummed.

"It's beautiful up here, just because you're here." Harry murmured. Draco's eyes crinkled in a smile.

"What?" He said, turning to smile at Harry. Harry looked over at Draco.

"Did you really not hear me or just want me to say it again?" He joked. 

"The ladder." Draco admitted with a laugh. Harry scooched over towards Draco and put his arm around the blonde's bare shoulders. Draco hadn't gotten to use the gillyweed for as long as he would have liked, but to be honest, he didn't even care.

sorry if this one wasn't the best but i promise i'm trying to upload more soon :)

um update i wrote this late at night and i just reread it in the morning... this didn't make sense at all LMAO im sorry guys i'll try to write something better hopefully today

hope u have an amazing day or night and ily! <33