Loss [Angst]

The morning sun shone down upon the meadowed hillside, warming the stalks of green and gold grass as they swayed in the spring breeze. Flowers of elegant hues of pink and yellow opened their petals to absorb the loving rays of the sun, dappling the fields with their beautiful colours. Nearby, a babbling stream wound its way through the meadow, the shining water sliding agilely over the smooth river rocks and down a tiny waterfall into a small glistening pool, where a deer and her newly born fawn found a place to drink. Birds sang off in the distance a song of new beginnings and revival, bringing the once empty seeming forest alive.

Everything was perfect, and everyone was happy.

Everyone, except one boy.

Tommy stared across at the stone marker, his eyes dashing over the lines.

Here lies Wilbur Soot

24 years of age

Brother, son, father and friend of many

May he find the peace in death that he could never find in life

It had been a while since Tommy had been here. The deep winter snow had blocked his entrance, but that wasn't entirely the reason. He hadn't come here because he hadn't had a reason to.

He lay a bundle of blue cornflowers down beside the grave, sighing softly as the wind ruffled through his hair. He stared up at the blue sky, silently sending a prayer that wherever Wilbur was, he was happy.

He remembered the last time he was here. He could remember it like it was yesterday.

6 months earlier...

The blue sky was a dull grey-blue, typical of an autumn day. The wind swept through Tommy's blonde hair as it scattered leaves through the air, its light gusts whipping through the grass.

Tommy sat crouched before Wilbur's grave, his head in his hands. He was numb. Neither sad that he was dead nor happy he was gone. He was just... numb.

It was a combination of many feelings, ones of self-doubt and hatred, fear and pain shoved into a mix of adoration and love. Which feelings were real, and which ones had he been made to feel?

It was impossible to know.

He did miss him, he knew that. He missed the old Wilbur. The intelligent and caring Wilbur, one who used words instead of violence. Not the one he had been at his death.

"Hey." Tubbo's voice broke through Tommy's thoughts. 

"Hey." He responded, not turning around. He didn't want to look him in the eyes. He didn't want Tubbo to see him cry.

Tubbo sat down beside Tommy, and Tommy turned to look away. "I knew you'd be here."

Tommy didn't respond. He didn't know how.

"Do you miss him?" Tubbo asked simply, wrapping his hands around his knees and staring at the gravestone. 

"...yeah. I do." Tommy admitted, his eyes welling up again. "I don't know why. He did so many horrible things. He wasn't a good person. I just... I just miss him." He bit his lip. "You wouldn't understand. You haven't lost what I've lost."

Tubbo was quiet for a moment before he spoke, anger filling his voice. "Why must you always be so insensitive? You always think you've got it so much worse than everyone else, when in fact, you don't."

Tommy clenched his fists, gritting his teeth as he turned to glare at Tubbo. "What do you mean?! Your life is so much worse than mine, huh? What did you lose? You gained everything! You've lost nothing!"

Tubbo's eyes flashed with anger, and he snapped, "I LOST MY FATHER YOU DAFT CUNT!!!" He yelled.

Tommy recoiled in shock, shame and guilt suddenly filling him. 

Tubbo let out a muffled sob into his legs and Tommy reached forwards to gently touch Tubbo on the shoulder. "I-...I-I forgot that Schlatt..."

"You forgot that Schlatt's my father?" Tubbo asked, his voice muffled. "You forgot that you were going to execute my father in front of me?"

"I'm... I'm sorry, Tubbo. I should have never said that." Tommy stated, his voice shaking slightly. "I'm really sorry."

Tubbo looked up, his eyes filled with tears. "No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled."

"Oh, Tubbo..." Tommy smiled sadly, "you don't need to be sorry."

Tubbo wiped a tear from his eyes. "I hate fighting with you."

"Me too," Tommy said, then reached out a hand. "Promise we won't fight again?"

Tubbo smiled and took his hand, shaking it. "As long as you don't do anything stupid."

"Damn it, I was going to rob a house with the new guy- oh well." Tommy said, shaking Tubbo's hand.

Tubbo smiled softly, letting go of his hand. "We're always going to be by each other's side, right? I'm never going to lose you?" He asked, his blue eyes staring up at Tommy's.

"Yeah. You are never gonna lose me, and I'm never gonna lose you." Tommy said confidently, a smile breaking out across his face.

"Good." Tubbo said, smiling softly. He stood, and offered Tommy his hand. "Let's go home."

Tommy took his hand, and the two began to walk away from the gravesite. "Yeah. Let's go home."

Present-day...

Tommy was alone now.

There was no one to joke or comfort him now. He stared at the grave, playing with his hands.

"I miss you." Tommy stated into the warm spring air, laying a bundle of yellow flowers down by the grave.

There was no reply.

"I don't know if you can hear me, or if you're even there." He said, staring up at the sky. "I just want you to know that I was wrong. And I'm sorry."

He let out a muffled sob, a single tear rolling down his face.

The stone of the second grave stared back.

Tubbo Underscore

17 years of age

Taken too soon

Loved by many, missed by all

May he rest in peace…
_

~Vera