Last Man Standing [Angst]

“Hey, Eret, remind me where we’re going again.”

The citizens of L’Manburg trekked down a dimly lit hallway, supposedly to find a “surprise” Eret had in mind for them--- but now, they were starting to have doubts.

“Yeah, this place is kind of scary.” Fundy whispered, his ears flopped downwards.

Wilbur patted his son’s carrot-orange fur in a sign of comfort. “Don’t worry, Fundy. We’ll get there soon...I hope.” He spoke the last two words with a tone of warning, squinting his eyes at Eret.

They walked further into the cave, and finally came to a stop in front of a wall. There was nothing beyond it.

Tommy whipped his head around to face their false guide. “What the fuck, Eret? This is not a surprise or anything, it’s a fucking dead end!”

Behind the dark sunglasses, the man glared daggers at him. “It’s behind the wall, idiot.”

Tommy’s eyes widened in realisation. “Oh, of course! I knew that, yeah.”

Tubbo face-palmed and spoke. “Guys, let’s just go in and look at what Eret wants to show us.”

They all nodded in approval and Eret found a button and pushed it. The secret door slid open to reveal an empty room--- besides the very tempting chests that have each of the five’s names on them. In the middle of the hollow cavern stood a pole with a big, red button--- sort of like the ones you shouldn’t press--- implanted in it’s body.

“Man, this place is cool!” Wilbur stated in awe.

“Dad, Dad, can I go and look in my chest please?” Fundy squealed with excitement.

The man’s jet-black beanie leaned sideways as he gave a questioning look to their host, who replied with a simple “Of course.” in return.

Fundy jumped up and down and ran towards the chest with his name engraved on it, like it was a long-lost friend he hadn’t seen in years.

The fox opened it and within a second his head landed beside the motionless body it once owned.

Screams were exchanged as crimson blood poured out and dripped from the salient scythe. The true surprise was when L’Manberg’s mortal enemies stepped out from behind a wall, fully equipped with weapons and defense--- the exact necessities that they didn’t have at this dreadful moment.

Wilbur dropped to his knees and sobbed, cradling his son’s head in his bloody arms. The others had never seen him so...broken before, and started to panic. Eret grinned, then smiled, and started laughing maniacally. Tears pricked the corners of the two teenager’s eyes.

“Eret you..” Tubbo choked out, Tommy helping him finish the sentence. “betrayed us.”

Dream stepped in. “And that was a smart move of him to do--- now, he can join us, and leave you children to rot in hell!” The two behind him snickered.

“You.. you guys are mad.” Tubbo stated, with fear shown clearly in his eyes.

“Yes, we sure are kid, now scram, before we change our minds…” George said, tracing circles delicately on the hilt of his netherite sword, not taking his eyes off the two.

Tommy glanced at his friend with such eagerness to get out of there, Tubbo seemed scared of even him too. But, he regained himself, and did the unimaginable.

He smacked the red button and all of the entrances to the hollow space snapped shut--- but not before Tommy got pushed out.

“TUBBO?! TUBBO!” He wailed, tears now streaming down his cheeks. He could hear the cries of both agony and anger, swords clattering to the ground and slashing at the enemy; the sobs of the former-father stopping abruptly, the man possibly in the same state as his son now.

He heard a muffled cry---yes, muffled, but not entirely inaudible.

“Run!”

That was Tubbo’s last wish to the boy. Run. And that was exactly what he did.

Tommy ran for his life, turning corners, his stomach churning with remorse and sorrow. The sounds of battle were growing fainter and fainter with every step he took, beads of hot sweat trickled down his pale face.

At long last, he reached the outside of the cave. And that was when he felt the burning, merciless impact meet his back.

The blonde awoke, but he didn’t know how long he had been asleep. What was presented in front of him made his eyes water once again.

Heaps of burnt rubble lay on the floor of the Earth, what used to be the cavern was now piles of ash and wasteland. Limbs coated with red paint from both sides of the war were sprawled upon the cold ground, still-warm blood splattered beneath them. Small fires blew in the direction of the wind, all was quiet.

Tommy sniffled, guilt eating away at him as he looked at the mess around him, not a soul to be found, as he was evidently the last man standing.
_

3 Feb 2021 Update: Gonna republish this because why not? :] love some classic angst