36. Today or Never

A perturbing silence embraced Rakshan and Aditi as they sat perched on the four legged concrete tetrapod of Marine drive, watching the first rays of the morning sun touching the Arabian sea. Their usual companions, Amitosh and Dheeraj excused themselves from the walk stating it was their last day in the city.

"Mr Fireball, I can't believe today we all will be heading back to our homes." Aditi uttered gazing at the glistening sea. A lazy smile tugged Rakshan's lips.

"Do you remember when I met you while jogging I didn't know what to speak to you but look today you're the one who knows more than half of me, Mr Fireball." She chuckled covering her mouth hoping to hear some words from him.

"The same goes here Aditi, I have never been this much free around someone."

Aditi smiled briskly. This was the first line he had spoken to her after wishing her for the morning.

"You know that day if you hadn't pulled me, I'm sure Oscar would have had a nice feast Mr Fireball." Rakshan looked at her surprised he hadn't expected her to notice that.

"And I want to tell you a secret don't say it to anyone." Aditi held her palm in front of him. Rakshan placed his palm eagerly on hers as a promise, wanting to know the secret.

"Your coconut sweets are the most tastiest in the world. Even far better than Dadi's. Don't tell it to her." She whispered crinkling her eyes at the end. Rakshan's heart swelled. He had cooked for himself only in his bachelor pad and it was the first time he had cooked for someone else and he was happy that it was her. Getting a compliment from her made him the happiest.

" We should have a game of chess again." Aditi chirped to which Rakshan nodded smiling. However, he felt her behaviour unusual. She was rambling over- excitedly, quite out of her character. He noticed how she wanted to say something else but each time something suppressed her from doing so.

"And you should practice ice skating and some day you should teach me basket ball. Next time, when I come to India we should go again for a trek. Keep updating me with the project. I will message you my contact details. Take care of yourself and keep rocking." Aditi ranted under a single breath. She mentally face palmed herself for her foolishness. She only needed to say a single line.

"Don't worry I will practice ice skating but I will miss my instructor. I will surely teach you basketball and we will definitely go on a trip. I will keep updating you with our project and my future projects. Also I will be calling you every weekend. Eat properly and most importantly take care of yourself. Keep shinning my star." Rakshan replied calmly giving an assuring smile to a dumbfounded Aditi.

Wetting her lips involuntarily, Aditi gave him a small smile. Making sure Rakshan was staring at the sea, she glanced at his side profile. He had the perfect small black almond eyes, sharp nose, a well developed jaw and a smart brain. But what attracted her the most was his golden heart and manners - soft and subtle. Aditi struggled with her thoughts.

Come on you can do it.

Its simple five words Adi.

You just need to say it Aditi.

I will miss you, Mr Fireball!

"I love you, Aditi."

Rakshan confessed looking straight into Aditi's eyes with an intensity that made her eyes widen in horror. She felt the world had stopped before her. She was sure she wasn't hallucinating and Rakshan's next words confirmed it.

"I love you Aditi beyond words."

Aditi immediately averted her gaze to the glittering sea. She couldn't look at his intense eyes which were shining with pure and unadulterated love for her. The sea dancing with the reflection of the sky painted with yellow, orange and red shades any day would have brought a smile on her face but today it was a chaos to her eyes. At that instant, she felt like running away from him as he looked at her like she was the only woman in the whole universe.