13. Saccharine

Everyone in the dining table were laughing at Rachna's tragic groom meeting story.

"Dadi, hereafter call the groom to the house I'm not going to meet them outside and you both stop laughing."Rachna commanded looking at Aditi and Ayushi who were laughing hysterically.

"Adi have you planned to fill your stomach with laughter."Malini noticed her granddaughter had not been eating her dinner properly. Aditi smiled sheepishly at her grandfather who grinned at her. Her tummy was over filled with jalebis.

"No Dadi, my tummy is full."

"Or rather filled with jalebis." Malini said pointedly looking at her husband. Immediately, Amitosh and Aditi flung their heads into their plates.

"You still haven't changed, Amit. Malini don't worry from tomorrow onwards he will come along with me for morning walk." Dheeraj asserted while Amitosh shot him death glares.

"Why?....Wait you're going to be waking up early?"Amitosh sputtered in surprise.

"All credit goes to my over protective grandson." Dheeraj quipped making Rakshan frown.

"He is being a good boy but why should I come with you?"

"I know he is and you should come because you're my friend." Dheeraj babbled munching the parathas.

"Fine. Adi you too join us. Its supposedly the punishment for eating jalebis with me." Amitosh stated to his granddaughter who had no way other than agreeing to it.

"Okay Malini give those coconut sweets to me. I will eat it." Suchitra jested looking at Aditi who was interested in playing with her spoon.

Dropping her spoon down Aditi beamed happily, "Coconut sweets."

"Yes I thought of giving you but as your tummy is filled I will ask Nirmal to keep it inside." Malini played along with her friend.

"No Dadi, I still have some space in my stomach."Aditi beseeched whose stomach magically became empty.

"No Butterfingers you will fall sick."Ayushi gushed poking her sister's stomach.

"Dadi, don't give her those sweets. She didn't pick my phone....but its okay I forgive her." Rachna mused looking at Harshan who gave her a smile.

"Why is everyone against me today?" Aditi pouted. Finally, Malini decided to end the play and gave her the coconut sweets. Seeing her favourite sweets, Aditi's eyes twinkled in joy.

"Thanks Dadi. These are damn delicious." Aditi uttered crunching the sweet.

"Convey your thanks to Rakshan. Its he who made it." Malini said as she handed everyone the coconut cubes. Aditi gasped in surprise and looked at Rakshan with her wide eyes and immediately buried her head into her plate. She hadn't expected Mr Fireball had such a talent. She mentally noted in Mr Fireball list 'Mr Fireball: The cook.' Feeling flustered by sudden appreciation, Rakshan gobbled his desert quickly.

The last coconut sweet piece laid on the table between Aditi and Rakshan. Both were staring at it like hungry predators. It was also Rakshan's favourite sweet which he often cooked in his pad. Aditi noticed Rakshan's subtle gaze flickering between her and the sweet. Deciding upon sacrificing her sweet, she made her way out of the table with others. Smiling at her retreating figure, Rakshan devoured the last piece of the sweet.

******

All sat in the living room except Rakshan who had work and Aditi who left to prepare her grandparents anniversary gift on the pretext of going to sleep. While the remaining formed their own groups and began chatting.