2. Impromptu decisions

Pune

"Malini, do you know where my specs are?" The ever green 70 year old man asked his wife.

"Oh God! I don't know what I would do with him. Its resting on your forehead Amit." The vibrant and energetic Malini Verma answered.

"Oops, thanks! By the way I have a good news to tell you."

"What's it?"

"Guess"

"You won't ever change. At least give me a hint." Malini shook her head at her husband's antics.

"Its about friends."

"Oh my god, have Dheeraj and Suchitra agreed to come to Mumbai for the vacation?" Malini exclaimed with a huge grin.

"Yes, Malini. They are coming with their grandsons. I'm so excited."

"Its been so long since we met them."

"Yes quite long. I just wish that Aditi comes here fast."

Its going to be 50 years of Amitosh Verma and Malini Verma's married life but their banters have never stopped till date. They became friends while studying in college which gradually blossomed into love and finally got married. They stood with each other through thick and thin from establishing one of the leading accountancy firm in the country 'The Verma's LLP' to turning their two naughty sons Prakash Verma and Surya Verma into responsible family men.

With their 50th wedding anniversary coming soon, they wished to celebrate it with their family and close friends.

"Dadu, Dadi I'm back home and damn hungry." Their twenty year old youngest grand daughter Ayushi Verma chirped entering the threshold.

"Ayu freshen up and come. I will have the coffee and biscuits ready." Malini said to her grand daughter and took her phone to look at the message received.

Dadi, have dinner. I will be late.

-Rachu

"I just don't know what I'm going to do with Rachu. She will be late for dinner." Malini complained to her husband after reading the message.

"Dadi, you should not be surprised if Di one day comes and chants to you Dadi my office is my home, my work is my life." Ayushi joked about her cousin coming towards the dinning hall.

"I think I should be prepared for that day." Malini replied with a sigh.

"Oh chill Dadi! How about we find a prince for her so she keeps staring at him all day." Ayushi suggested.

"Hmmm, that's a good idea. However the decision has to be made by Rachu."Amitosh commented.

"Talking about decisions, Ayu have you decided which university you are going to enroll for MBA?" Malini asked.

"Not yet, Dadi." Ayushi sighed and made a mental note to talk with her sister Aditi.

******

"Mom, not again."

"Rachu I'm not asking you to marry today itself. I'm just asking you to meet them." Her mother Shruti Verma tried to make her understand.

"Ok mom, I will meet them only for you. Happy! I will call you later."

"Thanks, Rachu. And do it for yourself. Good night sweetheart."

Frustrated Rachna cut the call and threw the phone on the cot. She did not know what made her say yes to the proposal. Whether the tiredness of the day took a toll on her or the chance to escape from the whining of her mother. She knew her mother meant only well being for her but the real question was she ready for relationship at this stage of her career. She had her fair chance of dates and came to the conclusion that she was not meant for it. She knew relationships required time. Will she be able to take time from her work? Will the man whom she meets will understand her career goals? With these thoughts she closed her eyes to wake up for another monotonous day in her life.

******

"Butterfingers, I don't know what to do?" Ayushi shouted into the phone as soon as the call got connected to her sister.

"Good evening to you too, little devil." Aditi giggled.

"Stop calling me that."

"Then you stop calling me butterfingers."

"I call you butterfingers because you are one."

"For you kind info, I was butterfingers back then not now and you were, you are and you will always be a little devil."

"Okay fine, Adiiii..."Ayushi trailed.

"Shoot it."

"Adi, I'm rejected for IIM Ahmedabad..."Ayushi whispered and the line went silent for few seconds.

"Ayu, it happens and IIM Ahmedabad is not the only institute in the country. I know you would have got selected into other superb institutes. Isn't it?"

"Yeah... but you know how much I wanted to get into it"

"Ayushi, sometimes we don't get what we want but we would definitely get what we need. You have got selected in other great universities which many would have not got. Appreciate your hard work. Remember our institutes don't define us. What defines us is the amount of effort and dedication we put to gain knowledge no matter where we study. Now stop feeling sad and select your university ,Madam."

"I hate to admit it but you do have a brain, Adi. Come soon."

"Okay little devil. Now go to bed. Good night!"

-----------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi guys!!

I strongly believe that no matter where we study, its the thirst and efforts we put to achieve our goals is what's going to define us .

What are your views on this? Drop it in the comment box.

Till then, bye!!