17. Cuteness loaded

Sitting on the bed reading a magazine, Shruthi Verma was pleasantly surprised to see her daughter's number flashing on her phone's screen. It was  she who would call her daughter often.

"Hello Rachu!"Rachna could sense the surprise behind her mother's excited loud voice as soon as the call got connected.

"Mom, I can hear you. You don't need to be so loud." Rachna playfully chided her mother.

"Of course! My daughter calling me out of the blue is definitely a surprise for me." Shruti replied enthusiastically unaware of the guilt occupying Rachna's mind.

Taking people who loved us for granted is unacceptable.

"I'm sorry Mom. I'm sorry for all these years Mom." Rachna sobbed sitting on the bed. The soft sobs brought a smile on Shruti's face. The mother in her knew the turmoil of her only daughter. Remaining silent, she let her daughter to vent out her feelings.

"I'm sorry Mom for not looking after you. I'm sorry for taking yours and Papa's love for granted. I'm sorry Mom for immersing myself into work forgetting there exist another world where people filled with love were waiting for me. I'm sorry Mom for not coming home, for not spending time with you, for not answering your calls, for cutting your calls to complete my work. I'm sorry Mom for never asking how was your day or above all how were you and Papa. I'm sorry mom for letting my work take control over me. Trust me Mom, though I was behind work all the time but my love for you both never faded. I always cared for you. I wanted to make you both proud of me." Rachna lamented her heart out seeking forgiveness.

"Rachu, stop crying. Papa and me are very proud of you. We know how difficult it is to be an accounting manger at such a young age. We are proud of our daughter who handled her office responsibilities perfectly. For doing great in her work. Rachu, you did not regret the countless nights you spent on filing taxes or the early mornings you woke up to do the accounts. You were happy with your work, beta." Shruthi gently told her daughter.

"Yes Mom but-"

"Rachu, you were happy with what you were doing. You loved your work. You did not intentionally moved away from us but it is your fault to not see how your personal life was turning gloomy in return of a successful professional life. And somewhere as parents it is also our fault for not teaching you to balance personal and professional life Rachu. Forgive us Rachu." Shruthi explained her point of view. Hearing no response from the other side, she continued.

"Rachu you have not lost anything. We are and we will always be there for you. We don't want our daughter to only be a successful business woman, we want her to have a happy and contended life. We love you, Rachu."

"Thanks Mom. I love you too." Rachna whispered in between her sobs. Shruthi's heart cried to see her bold daughter crying but everything happens for good. She understood her daughter has realized her mistake and her strong girl would not back down without rectifying her mistake.

"Mom, I promise hereafter I would make sure I wouldn't immerse myself into work forgetting you all. Even if I do call me and scold me."

Shruthi chuckled at that. Soon the mother-daughter duo began catching up with their lives talking about the vacation, anniversary party preparations and her parent's visit from Delhi. Rachna let out a contended sigh after disconnecting the call.

******

Aditi opened the door and was swiftly pushed by a morose Harshan who had a hot brown liquid in a glass.