16. Fleeting silence

They had things to say aloud but they let their silence and smile to speak.

Huffing Rakshan took an ironed blue shirt and black pant from the cupboard. Suchitra seeing his grandson mostly engaged with his laptop, had strictly ordered him to go out with Aditi who had works to finish outside. Combing his hair and rolling his shirt sleeves, Rakshan descended down the stairs.

He saw Aditi solving sudoku in the newspaper neatly dressed in a white netted top and long yellow skirt allowing her hair to bounce on her shoulders. He cleared his throat letting her know his presence. Aditi immediately stood up and looked at him.

"Do you want to join me? If not I can talk to Dadiji." Aditi asked hesitatingly.

Rakshan wanted to accept her proposal but thought what he would do sitting all alone in the evening when all the youngsters were out. Moreover, he needed a break from his hectic work and he could not refuse his grandmother. Motioning his head in a no, he walked towards the car with Aditi trailing behind him. The car ride towards the sweet shop was in complete silence none uttering a word.

Stopping at the sweet shop, they both made their way to the sweet counter. Aditi's eyes twinkled as she looked at the sweets earning a smile from Rakshan. She was indeed a sweetaholic. Placing sweets order for the anniversary party, she looked at Rakshan and asked, "Do you want any sweets?"

Again Rakshan swayed his head in a no. Aditi wondered what was with Mr Fireball and his head movements. She bought two boxes of sweets and placed it on the car back seat. Trying her luck, she requested Mr Fireball to take her to a temple nearby. Though she didn't prefer to go to temples regularly, today she felt the urge to go there. Luckily, Mr Fireball agreed to her demand making her smile.

After praying, both silently sat on the temple dais looking at the praying people. Both wishing their prayers were fulfilled. Rakshan wanted his project to be successfully completed while Aditi wished her family remained happy always. They both felt a peace comforting their heart. Aditi distributed sweets to the paupers at the entrance of the temple.

"Where next?" Rakshan questioned reviving the car to life.

"I want to go to this photo frame shop." Aditi began guiding the directions to the shop. At last the car was filled with sounds even though it was of directions.

Aditi carefully held out a pastel sheet from her folder to the shop keeper. Rakshan standing beside peeped at the pastel sheet. It was a beautiful portrait painting of a smiling Amitosh tying the wedding knot to a blushing Malini whose head was bend down with her eyes welled up.

"Beautiful." Rakshan praised and began scrutinizing the frames.

"Thank you, this is Dadu and Dadi's anniversary gift." Aditi smiled shyly and looked at the frames in confusion.

"I think the thick dark brown frame would be apt." Rakshan suggested rubbing his hand on his nape.

"Perfect." Aditi gave a full blown smile and placed the order for the frame. As it was already time for dinner, Aditi thought of thanking Mr Fireball with a dinner for taking his time out for her and specially for selecting the perfect frame for her grandparents gift.

"Rakshan, would you like to have dinner with me?" Aditi professed nervously with hopeful eyes. Rakshan had work to do but he didn't had the heart to say no to her who was looking at him expectantly. He simply nodded and drove to the restaurant she suggested.

The restaurant wasn't a fancy one but gave a warm and cosy feeling. The lightings were dim set up in a vintage background. They sat comfortably on a table for two in a secluded portion of the restaurant. Placing the orders, Rakshan kept looking everywhere else except Aditi while she fiddled with the fork lying on the table in an uncomfortable silence. Both were plainly inexperienced when it came to dealing with opposite gender unless it was for work. Finally, Aditi decided to break the ice between them.