40. Puffed kernels

Delhi

Lazily sprawling his legs on the bed, Harshan laid his back on the bedrest and took his phone to call his lady love. It had become a ritual for them to share their entire day events with each other before going to sleep.

"Hey beautiful!" Harshan uttered as soon as the call got connected.

"It seems someone had a great day." He heard Rachna's voice from the other side and smiled.

"Yes Rachu! The inauguration of our child shelter was successful. Rachu, today you should have the seen the smile on Ma and Dadi's face when they had cut the ribbon. One of my dreams had come true, Rachu." Harshan jabbered happily.

"I saw the video you sent me. I wish the children get a wonderful family like ours."

"I too wish the same, Rachu. I can't even imagine my life without our family. I just hope they get a family where they are loved and cared." Harshan replied and exhaled a soft breath. For him, his family was the foremost and he wanted to provide the same for the orphan kids.

"Okay, you tell me about your day?" He asked.

"Well, work was good but I have something special to tell you." Rachna beamed and continued, "I have joined Jazz classes. I always wanted to learn Jazz."

"Wow!" Harshan gleamed.

"Yes Harsh. I wanted to do this for myself . With Adi and Ayu leaving in few days, I didn't know what to do. Then I remembered your advice, take time for yourself. That's it I joined the dance classes."

"That's good to hear, Rachu. So what are you planning for their farewell?"

"I'm planning to take Adi and Ayu tomorrow on a girls night out as soon as Adi returns from her friend's house."

"Girls night out! Interesting. What are you guys going to do?"

"Hmmm... we will roam the city. I and Ayu will go for shopping making Adi go crazy, eat all junks and a movie. Partying all night! That's it."

"Haha...Enjoy and be safe." Harshan uttered wistfully. Rachna smiled softly feeling cared and protected.

"Good night beautifu! Love you."

"Same here. Good night!"

Switching off their room lights, with a smile on their face they went to sleep looking forward to another good day in their life.

******

Bangalore

The shrill sound of the phone alarm woke Aditi up. Rubbing her eyes, she switched off the alarm not wanting to disturb Rakshan's sleep. Taking his hand which was caressing her hair, she lifted her head from his lap and sat on the couch. She took in the appearance of an upright sleeping Rakshan whose hair was disshelved, his arm balancing his head and his breathing even. She smiled remembering last night.

After coming back home, they had danced or perhaps jumped to high beat songs crazily. He had told her the stories behind each photo frame on the wall. Then they sat to watch a comedy flick laughing and commenting their hearts out and involuntarily slept on the couch at the faint hours of dawn.

Ruffling his already messy hair, Aditi stood up to get ready. She had a flight to catch at ten. After freshening up for the day in the guest room, she made her way to the kitchen to make two cups of tea. Seeing Rakshan absent in the living room, she knocked his room's door.