𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞- 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐦𝐞

Tap

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

Mitra was awakened in the middle of the night, small raps of knuckles against her glass window disturbing her slumber.

She groggily pat Bernard's fur to calm him down, wiping her sleepy eyes as she pattered along the smooth light oak flooring of her botanical bedroom.

Pulling her black, sheer curtains in between her slender fingers, she drew the fabric to the side, revealing the flustered face of Rafe Cameron, pupils blown out and cheeks pink.

Her trimmed eyebrows pulled together in confusion, though the stoic look of panic in his eyes made her unlatch her white oak window and take his hand to assist him in.

Mitra watched as he stared down at her, his breath rushed and panicked as he ran his veiny, ring-clad fingers through his mouse brown hair, letting it fall over his forehead, a slick contrast to his usual clean sweep.

"Uh... You ok Rafe?" she asked, pulling him over to the white armchair in her bedroom, passing him a cool bottle of water from the chilled mini-fridge.

The cold condensation on the sides of the bottle wet the tips of his fingers as he slowly and gently removed it from Mitra's grasp.

The boy took the lid from the top of the bottle and brought it to his blued lips, hands shaking violently as he swallowed the liquid.

"Rafe... Are you ok?"

The boy's crystalline eyes snapped over to her, tears welling in their threshold as his bottom lip trembled, "I have a problem, and I know you had one too so you have to help me." He urged, desperation clear in his expression.

Mitra took a deep breath and nodded her head, "ok. Ok, I'll help you. First thing you need to do is breathe, ok?" She placed her gentle fingers on his cheek and his breath shallowed, returning to a safe pace as he slowly came down from his panic.

"Good, good," the girl coaxed, eyes dawning into his as he focused on his breathing, "now, I need you to explain to me, ok?"

The boy nodded his head, bringing the bottle to his blue lips as he took another thick swallow to calm the prick of anxiety rising in his erratically beating heart, "I think I'm overdosing" he muttered.

The girl's face drained of it's natural colour, a pale tinge coating her tan features as her heart began to beat widely in her chest.

"Ok, ok. Um- can you- is your chest hurting?" she questioned, the back of her hand coming to his forehead to test the heat of his skin.

"You- you have a slight temperature ok? Look at me Rafe," she pushed his falling gaze to her's, eyes searching his face as his lids slowly flickered, "I need you to take your shirt off, can you do that?" she asked, her hands already coming to his shirt and lifting it over his head.