𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧- 𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚

The morning soon came. Rafe didn't dare wake Mitra. He lay in bed for hours upon hours, soaking in the morning sun. He traced the tattoos across the brunette's arms, his fingers leaving a warm glow of comfort in their wake.

He gazed down at her, propping himself up on his elbow. The way her nose upturned, the gentle flicker of her eyes as she was lost in deep sleep, the light breathing that escaped her lungs. The way Mitra was, the things that made Mitra herself, was what made Rafe whole.

His whole life, Rafe had been the backup. Sarah was Ward's prize possession, his pride and joy, his priority. But now, with Mitra, he felt valued. He was loved, cared for. He was considered, he was valued, he had meaning, he had a purpose. He had a family.

Careful, as to not wake Mitra, Rafe slid his arm from below her and watched as she settled back into comfort. Rafe scooped Mak, who had begun to awake, onto his hip. "Alright," he mumbled as he stroked the strands of hair on his head, "I know, I know. You're hungry, huh?" He checked the spare bedrooms. All empty. He was glad they had the house to themselves. He warmed some food for Mak, placing him in his highchair. "Here y'go," he kissed the boy on the cheek.

"Yummy!" exclaimed the boy, shovelling the honey oats into his mouth. "Mama?"

"She's still asleep, bud," Rafe sighed, taking a sip of coffee, "she fuckin' deserves it..." he took a glance at the baby, "I mean... Freakin."

A comfortable silence fell over the room. This is the first chance Rafe had to think over the recent events. He placed his head in his hands, running his fingers through his hair. He didn't dare move, too scared to break the calmness that the house was wrapped in. Rafe had found that, throughout the chaos of the last month, this house had become his safe space, his oasis. The only reason he would ever leave was if Mitra and Mak left with him.

Once Mak was finished with his breakfast, Rafe took him back upstairs, ready to wake Mitra gently with a cup of steaming coffee. "Mim," he whispered, the tired toddler sat on his lap whilst Rafe's fingers grazed through his love's thick brown locks, "I got you a drink. C'mon, honey. Wake up."

Mitra's eyes fluttered. This was her favourite way to wake up, her whole world in one spot. "Thanks, baby. And hi, you!" she smiled wide and brushed a finger across her toddler's cheek. He gave an excited smile.

This was where they were supposed to be.