Miles away.

Meredith POV:
I woke up this morning, alone again. The bed was empty because Derek had been in D.C for the past two months. And to make matters worse, its Valentine's Day. So imagine what mood I'm going to be in when I have no husband, 2 kids and a job to do today, without coming home to a nice hot bath and candles or a naked husband, or a perfect dinner. Not a good mood.

I looked at my phone and saw a text message that Derek sent at 5:45.

D: good morning beautiful! I know it's Valentine's Day and I'm not there... but I will PROMISE to call you after your shift. I couldn't ask for a better wife and mother of my children. I love you so much, also I have a present coming to the door for you, should arrive around 8 pm! I love you 😘❤️💕

I read his message and slightly smiled as it lightened my mood. But also made me more sad he wasn't here. I decided to call him.

Derek POV:
I went to work after sending Mer the valentines message. I think she was going to love the gift I picked out for her. I got to my office and sat in my desk, before getting a call. I looked up and saw it was Mer, I answered.

"Hey pretty lady!"
"Hi handsome, happy Valentine's Day"
"And to you to, what are you doing?"
"Mm, just laying in bed on your side"
"Why my side?"
"Because it smells like you..."
"Ooh ok"
"What are you doing?"
"I'm doing paperwork in my office, so fun"
"Do you have your intern?"
"Nope. Just me this morning, thankfully, because I can talk to you"
"Oh ok... the kiddos are still sleeping"
"That's nice, you get a little time to yourself"
"Mhm... Derek?"
"Yes Mer?"
"Are you wearing that blue button up with you black dress pants?"
"I am actually, why?"
"Nothing... I'm just trying to picture you"
"What are you doing?"
"Mm... I'm thinking of the way your muscles pop out of that shirt... so sexy"
"Oh ok... I wish I had you sitting on this desk"
"What would you do to me if I was?"
"I would lay you down and kiss from your thighs to your perfect breasts, let my tongue swirl around your skin. Kiss back down to your favorite spot and make you moan my name-"
"Derek baileys up I gotta go, love you!"

She hung up the phone. I sighed and looked down at my problem. I sighed and then went back to filing.

Meredith POV:
I got the kids up and dressed. I put on a pair of jeans and a red sweater, with my bluestones. I got to the hospital and dropped the kids off at daycare and went to work.

"Good morning Bailey" I saw her at the nurses station filling out paperwork. "Ya ya morning Grey" she laughed and handed a chart to the nurse.

"Your cheery?" I questioned her joyfulness. She looked up at me before smiling again.

"Hey Grey, I have a date tonight. Last time I checked, you where single this Valentine's Day. Can you take my surgery's there's only 3?" I sighed and tried to hide my frown.

"Ya... sure, I've got nobody to go home to tonight anyways" I tried to cover it with a small giggle. Thankfully she didn't notice. "Ya thanks Grey" she left and walked out of the hospital. I sighed and tried catching the tears that almost fell down my face.

///4 hours later///
I just finished my 2nd surgery that Bailey gave me, I only had 5 more to do because I had 4 of my own. My neck was really sore, but I knew nobody would do anything if I said something. I had a small lunch break so I decided to text Derek.

M: hey how's your day going?"
D: sorry Mer I can't talk now.
M: oh... ok

I set my phone down and stared at the tab colored tray that held a banana muffin and a white milk. I hadn't talked to anybody today other than Bailey and my patients. I felt like I was just being shut out.

I looked around the room and saw a bunch of couples, playing footsies under the table, or rubbing their noses together. I sighed and started eating my lunch, before Alex came over.