{ c h a p t e r t w e n t y t h r e e - t h e s i l e n c e }

Chapter's Theme Song: Brave by Tawgs Salter

Chapter Twenty Three

-Cole Anderson-

"Cole, focus," Kylie scorned with a tired sigh. "For this homework, you just need the phythagorean theorem formula. You had Pre-Calculus last year and it was part of the lesson."

"What is the Pythagorean theorem?" I groaned, sleepily.

"Are you kidding me? Can you read? It says right here," she pointed at the textbook.

"Please focus, because I wanna go home," she whined. "And the library is closing in like," she glanced at the clock that hung above the wall behind me, "15 minutes. We can continue this session tomorrow. I still have a lot of homework to do and it's past 5 already. If I don't start on it soon, I might stay up all night again."

Currently, we're at the school library because of Kylie's promise to tutor me. So far, she hasn't been doing a very good job on it.

Okay, that came off wrong. It's I wasn't really paying attention for the last half an hour or so. Calculus used to be my favorite subject till now, I'm kinda failing. I used to have an A-, but recently, I've been getting C's and D's on the last couple tests we've had. Now, I have a B and that's unacceptable.

"Well I can't comprehend what that is no matter how many times I've read it. That's the purpose of my need for a tutor, duh. Just explain to me what the definition is by your own words; I'm a quick learner, I just have to be taught verbally," I yawned, covering my mouth with my hand. Where would my manners be if I hadn't?

"The longest side of the triangle is called the "hypotenuse", so the formal definition is: In a right angled triangle: the square of the hypotenuse is equal to

the sum of the squares of the other two sides. So the equation is: a² + b²= c²."

Oh, that makes more sense.

"If a² and b²'s answer did not equal to c², then the answer must be wrong," I added, suddenly getting the whole lesson.

"Yeah! Does that make sense?" her face lit up.

"Yeah..." I smiled gratefully at her. "Thank...you," I said with reluctance. It's not in my habitat to say thank you to people. I sound like a spoiled bastard but I'm just so used to people eulogizing and praising me that maybe I forgot the feeling to be humble and lost my sense of humility. I'm ashamed of myself. From now on, I'll apologize and thank people when it's necessary.

"No problem," she mumbled as she starts to pack up.

"What are you doing?"

She gave a Are-you-really-asking-that look. "Home, obviously. We're done for now, and you just said you already understood the Pythagorean theorem, so yay my job's done so it's time for me to head home," she remarked sarcastically.

"And how will you get home?" I ignored her sarcasm and asked with concern growing inside of me. Concern? Wait, since when did I start caring about anyone?

"Must you always ask stupid questions," she frowned. "Obviously, I'm taking the Metro bus."

"No, you're not," I stood up so fast that the chair squeaked making several students stared at me. Ugh, I don't need anymore attention today. All day, girls had been becoming more clingy than usual, asking me what I've seen in Kylie but I'll just brush 'em off and pretend that I don't care. I'm talking about slut girls, sorry for the term I chose for description, but how else would I describe them when I've slept more than half of the girls in my grade? Some I've slept with in sophomore before Erin was my girlfriend, and some... I slept with before this whole Kylie thing. But it was my fault, because I lead them on. To get sex, I may or may not have lied to them and say I have feelings for them, when I don't even know their name.