{c h a p t e r t w e n t y s e v e n - t h e o u t b u r s t}

Chapter Twenty Seven

-Kylie Smith-

"What if they become ashamed of me, Kylie? What if they stopped loving me because I'm gay?" Brad's voice cracked as a fat teardrop fell from his eyes.

"They won't stop loving you, Brad," I rubbed a hand on his back to soothe him. "Maybe it'll take time for them to accept it at first, but they will not stop loving you. Family is something that can't be broken by anything. Family is unbreakable. Brad, look at me," I commanded, pushing two fingers up on his chin. His teary eyes stared through me like a broken soul. "Being gay doesn't make you any different from anyone. Love isn't something you can decide. You never asked to fall for Connor in the first place. You didn't just wake up and decided that you prefer guys over girls; no, don't blame yourself. If you have to blame something, blame fate and love."

"I don't know what do, Kylie! I am so scared!" Brad cried on my shoulder. My shoulder feels damp and soaky from all the tears he has cried.

"Everything's gonna be alright, Brad," I soothed, wrapping my arms around him.

Man, this is gonna be harder than I thought.

"What do I tell them? How do I tell them?"

It is a big mistake to help Brad. Instead of making him feel better, I think it's the other way around. I am such a bad friend. I don't even know how to answer! I wanna help him but I don't know how!

I closed my eyes and aroused for the right words to escape. "During dinner, tell your family you have something to you'd like to confess. Once you have everyone's undivided attention, ask your Mom how she feels about your Dad; ask your Dad the same thing about your Mom. Then, ask them how they feel towards you and and your siblings. After you do all that, drop the news to them. Looking upon their shock faces, say: 'Dad, whatever you feel for Mom, that's how I feel towards Connor, my boyfriend. Do you still love me after this? Because if not, then you never truly loved me. If you love me, you're going to accept me no matter what. Wait for their expressions after that. Don't let the thought of what other people will think over your happiness. You're so much better than that. "

I opened my eyes, finding Brad's dry tears smeared all over his cheeks and his red eyes; he stopped bawling.

"That's a great way to tell them, Kylie..." he unleashed me from his grip. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now I know exactly what to do!" he took my face in his hands and pecked me on the forehead. "I have to go! Thanks, Kylie!" He stoop from his chair with hope written all over him.

"Go, Brad. You can do this," I encouraged him with a bright grin.

"Thank you, Ky! I love you!"

I fiddled the Caramel Macchiato coffee with my fingers as flashbacks of today took over me.

It was hard to talk to Cole like nothing ever happened. I had to put on my best lying face to him and act like everything's just fine. It was hard to pretend like I didn't like him.

But I have to do this. It's the only way to keep him from finding out how I feel about him.

Was he jealous when he got mad at Brad when he slapped my butt? Brad's been doing that since we were kids and it wasn't a big deal because you know...he's gay.

I knew about it a long time ago but the reason why I was so shocked in P.E., not because of his sexual preference but because he told me he was in relationship with Connor! I never thought of them together like ever.

He can't be jealous; he doesn't like you.

I keep on having to remind myself to distance myself from him. We're over; whatever feelings he stated that he has for me, it vanished over time. Cole is Cole. He doesn't---he can't like anyone besides Erin, and that thought slaps me hard in the face.