Chapter 21

The next day, it was Carter's first day back at school and I could tell he was glad. Of course he says he hates school like every other teenager, but he doesn't have long left until graduation so I know he wants to make the most of it. Plus, he hates missing football practice and the last thing he'd want is to miss a game.

"Carter, hurry up! We're going to be late!" I yelled up the stairs with my bag over my shoulder.

"No we're not, calm down." he sighed, walking down the stairs to meet me.

"Bye guys, have a good day!" Mom shouted from the kitchen. "And remember to come straight home after practice!"

"Okay, bye Mom." we both replied before making our way out of the door.

I reached for the passenger door as Carter walked around to the drivers seat and stopped me.

"No. Get in the back." he said.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Because we're picking Laura up on the way and she's sitting in the passenger seat."

"That's not fair. First come, first serve." I said, jumping into the passenger seat and shutting the door. "And what about the twins?"

"There's three seats in the back aren't there?" he said patronisingly. "So go and sit in one of them."

"That's going to be so uncomfortable to squish in between them!" I whined. "And since when did we take Laura to school?"

"Since today, because I can't see her after school so I said I'd give her a ride. So get in the back."

"That's so annoying, you know she's just going to talk about stupid gossip the entire ride."

"I don't care. Stop being so annoying and get in the back or I'll just leave you at home for the rest of the week." he threatened.

"Urgh, fine! I'll get in the back when we get to Lucas and Ryan's." I sighed as I got my phone from out of my pocket.

"What are you doing?" he asked, referring to my phone as he turned the engine on and drove out from the long driveway.

"I'm texting Jake to see if he can give me a ride tomorrow. Not that it's any of your business." I answered.

"He is not driving you to school!" he said demandingly.

"If it's okay with him then yes he is, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"No way am I letting that jerk come to our house. Why won't you just ride with me like usual?"

"Because Laura's going to be here! You know we don't get on, and if you're going to drive with your girlfriend to avoid these new rules that Mom and Dad have set, then I'm going to do the same with my boyfriend!" I explained.

"Fine, be like that. You are so difficult, you know that?" he said annoyingly as we turned into the Goodman's driveway and came to a stop.

It's quite helpful that they only live down the street from us.

"You started it." I said before opening the door and jumping out of the car.

"Hey." Lucas said walking over to the car as they were waiting outside already. "Why are you getting out of the car?"

"Because I'm sitting in the back with you two today." I sighed as I opened the car door for the backseat.

"Why?" Ryan asked, making his way around the other side as I climbed into the middle.

"I'll let you figure that out. Take a wild guess at who we're driving to school today." I said.

"Oh no." Lucas said as he got in beside me and they both shut their doors.