Chapter 37

The next day, the boys were all on edge about another football game coming up in a couple of weeks, so we'd agreed to meet them at training after school as we usually did.

When I walked out of my final lesson, I was met with Lucas stood outside of my classroom leaning against the wall waiting for me, looking as cool as ever.

"I thought we were meeting at practice." I laughed as we began walking side by side down the corridor.

"We were, but you were on my way and I wanted to see you before I got all sweaty and gross." he said, slinging his arm over my shoulder.

"Well thank you for the consideration."

"Anytime." he said.

As we turned the corner to where the bleachers stood, we spotted the cheerleading squad practicing out on the field, which was unusual seeing as they normally just stayed in the gym until the game.

"What are they doing on the field?" I asked Lucas, assuming he'd know the answer.

"They've been practicing outside ever since Carter broke up with Laura." he sighed.

"That's really stupid." I said.

"Tell me about it. Honestly, their repetitive cheers just annoy me now."

"Doesn't that defeat the whole point then?" I asked.

"Yep. But Laura's voice through a microphone isn't the most pleasant when you're trying to focus."

"Fair enough." I chuckled as we arrived at the bleachers.

"Okay, I need to go and get ready or coach will kill me for being late." he said.

"Okay, have fun." I smiled as he leaned down to kiss me before running towards the locker room.

"Ooooh!" Leanne and Hailey taunted from their seats in the middle of the stands.

"Shut up." I laughed, rolling my eyes at them as I walked up to sit beside Leanne.

"You look happy." Leanne smiled smugly.

"I am." I said.

"You guys are so cute! I totally ship Skycas....or Luclar? Lular? Ly? Wow you have the worst ship names ever." Hailey conversed with herself.

Before I could reply, Leanne had already captured the attention of both of us.

"Uh guys, look!" she pointed down to the field.

I looked down to see Carter stood on the field near the bottom of the bleachers beside Daisy. Both of them were clearly flirting heavily and he looked...happy.

"Woah, what's on Carter's face?" Hailey exclaimed, squinting to get a better look. "Is that a smile?! Who is that and what've they done with the real Carter Eastwood?"

"No, I didn't mean look at them flirting, I meant look at who's about to cause trouble!" Leanne hissed.

I instantly saw what she was talking about and spotted none other than Laura strutting over to the two of them.

Carter and Daisy clearly hadn't seen her, because they continued their conversation as normal until we all heard a loud voice gathering everyone's attention within a 10 mile radius.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" Laura screeched, stomping over to them.

Suddenly, she reached them and was ready to go full attack mode as she launched herself toward Daisy. Fortunately for Daisy, Carter managed to stand between the two of them and act as a 6'4" barrier to protect her from being violently attacked.