Chapter 14

We spent our lunch break in Dad's office, watching them assess the recruits on a board.

I didn't tell them the whole story with Max but I told them to watch out for him and they took my note on board.

It was actually pretty fun to hang around here all day seeing what my parents do for a living. Of course I knew that we didn't know the entire story, there was a lot that they didn't want us to know but I was just happy to be in the loop now at least.

"Did you see his face when Sky said she was their daughter? It was priceless!" Ryan laughed, slapping his knee overdramatically and putting an amused smile on my face.

"Yes Ryan, for the last time, we all saw it." Carter said.

"Sorry Leanne, but Sky is the most badass girl here now." Ryan continued as he laughed.

"I'm going to get something from the vending machine. Anyone want anything?" I asked, rolling my eyes and getting up.

Everyone declined my offer apart from Ryan of course, who asked me to get him some skittles and an energy drink.

I made my way downstairs to where the vending machines were and punched in the numbers of the items that I wanted after putting my money in the machine.

I got my snacks, Ryan's drink and watched as the skittles began to move at the top of the machine...only to get stuck. Typical. Why do vending machines never seem to work?

I banged the machine with my fist a couple of times in an attempt of making the skittles fall, but had no luck and ended up just staring at the machine with a sigh.

"Do you need some help with that?" I heard a deep voice from behind me.

I turned to see a brunette guy who looked to be a couple of years older than me. He was much taller than me, as everyone seemed to be around here, and had a kind smile with dimples gracing his cheeks. His hair flopped gently and he was holding a water bottle as it seemed that he had been busy working out in the gym.

"Oh, yeah, if you wouldn't mind." I said, turning back to the machine.

"These machines are always acting up." he smiled as he simply tilted the machine forward, causing the skittles to drop and making it look easy.

"Thanks." I said as I knelt down to pick up the candy.

"I'm Nick." he said, shaking my hand. "I haven't seen you around here before."

"I'm Sky, today is kind of my first day." I smiled.

"Well it's nice to meet you." he said.

"It's nice to meet you too."

"You know, I've been training here for years. It's nice to see some new faces." he smiled down at me.

"Wow, that must've been a pretty intense childhood." I said.

"I guess, but I'm used to it...did you not grow up with the mafia? Most recruits are usually used to this stuff." he asked.

"Not exactly." I hesitated, not wanting to tell him that my parents owned this place and yet I only just found out.

"So how've you found training so far?" he asked.

"It's been kind of fun, although I suppose that's the wrong word to use." I smiled bashfully.

"You may not think that after a few sessions." he laughed. "It can get pretty tough, but I could help you train sometime."

"Maybe." I laughed.