Chapter 38

The next day went by as usual, wake up, go to school and then go home.

School was getting more and more boring as the days went by, and my friends and I spent most of our time wishing that we could just be training at the base instead.

Seeing as most of us were most likely just going to end up following in our parents footsteps, we were starting to see school as pointless despite the fact that we still needed to attend.

"Sky? Have you stolen my green hoodie again?" I heard Carter shout from down the hall.

"No." I yelled back.

"I know you have it." he said, appearing in my bedroom doorway.

"Well we both know it looks better on me." I fired back.

"Give it back." he said, holding his hand out.

"Give me my phone charger back and then maybe I will!"

"I need that because mine broke. Give me my hoodie back." he said, walking towards my closet and flinging the doors open.

"Fine, I'll get it." I sighed. "But I don't care if your charger is broken, just buy a new one and give mine back."

"Why can't you just buy a new one?" he asked, snatching the hoodie from me as I took it out of my closet.

"Because mine isn't broken!"

"Would you two please stop arguing?" Mom sighed from the hallway outside my door. "I really can't deal with it today."

"Sorry, mom." we both said monotonously in sync.

"Jules, we need to go. Now." Dad said suddenly, shrugging his jacket on from behind her.

"Shit." Mom muttered under her breath. "Guys, there's been an emergency at the base and we need you to stay here. Whatever you do, do not leave the house. The security is here, but if you have any problems then call us immediately, okay?"

"What kind of emergency?" Carter asked.

"We don't have time to explain Carter, just listen to your mother please." Dad said.

"Well, can I come? Maybe I can help!" he continued.

"No Carter, just stay here with Sky." Mom said.

"We love you guys, we'll see you later okay?" Dad said before hugging us quickly and rushing down the stairs in a hurry.

"Stay safe, okay? There's food in the fridge and we've locked all the doors already and-" Mom rambled.

"Jules, come on, we need to go!" Dad called from the front door.

"Coming, honey!" she yelled back. "I love you, guys. See you later." she smiled forcefully before kissing our heads and rushing down the stairs.

"Love you!" we both said in sync once more.

"Stay safe!" I called after her.

The front door then slammed shut and Carter and I were left alone in the house like old times.

This was nothing new to us, we were used to our parents rushing off for 'work emergencies', only now we had the added factor of fear.

Now, we didn't just picture them hurrying to a busy office meeting somewhere. We knew that they were actually going off to fight someone. They were in danger, and all we could do was wait and see if they were going to come home.

"I need to go and call Jamie." Carter said. "I'll see if Blade told him anymore about the emergency."

"Okay." I nodded, returning to my desk where my homework lay.