Chapter 28

The next day, I felt so much better.

Carter had really put things in perspective for me, and as much as what Jake did hurt me, I'd dodged a bullet with him.

I now know that I deserve better.

I could maybe forgive him for cheating on me far in the future, but I could never forgive him or Laura for what they did to Carter. I wanted to kill them both for that.

Luckily for me, it was training day, meaning that I could get all of my anger out.

I was apprehensive about seeing Lucas. I felt a little awkward after our last couple of encounters.

I still wanted to know what he was going to tell me, but I felt as though I needed to stay away from him for a while.

Things are obviously going really well with Daisy and I don't want to get involved with that.

I've thought for a while that there may be a slight possibility that I had some kind of feelings for Lucas, but I refuse to admit it. We're just friends.

And now that Daisy's in the picture, I don't want to ruin anything for him or make it awkward between us.

"Ready to go?" Dad asked, walking into my room with a duffle bag in hand.

I was staring at myself in the mirror, tightening my ponytail as I nodded.

"Yep."

I was determined not to let Jake get to me from now on. I allowed myself a day to cry it out, but now it was time to move on.

The two of us made it out to the car where we were joined by Mom and Carter.

We've been training for a little while now and I think it's been going really well. I've learnt so many fighting techniques which I didn't even know existed, and it made me feel...powerful. As stupid as that sounds.

We quickly drove to the base, and arrived at about 7 AM. Of course Dad had already spent all morning in the home gym.

Carter most likely would've joined him if he could've dragged himself out of bed.

"Hey guys." I smiled as we walked into the gym to see the girls already there.

Carter immediately placed his bag in his locker and rushed onto the equipment to get a start as I spoke to my friends.

"Hey girl, how are you feeling?" Leanne asked sincerely.

"Surprisingly good." I smiled. "I'm not going to let that lowlife get to me."

"Good! We were all really worried about you yesterday. Lucas and Leanne almost got arrested for murder." Hailey laughed.

"Speaking of Lucas, he came to see me last night." I said.

"Oh really? What did he say?" Leanne asked.

"Not much. He was just checking in to make sure I was okay." I said, purposely leaving out certain details. "I met his date to the wedding at school, she seems really nice."

"His what?"

"He got a date?"

"Yeah, why are you so surprised?" I asked, fidgeting awkwardly.

"Well, I always thought you and him-" Hailey began.

"Me and him?" I exclaimed, slightly overexaggerating my shock.

"Yeah...don't act so shocked." she said.

"Y'all are always flirting. You think we don't see that?" Leanne laughed.