•3•

I sigh probably for the thousandth time as my uncle by marriage gives me a speech on the phone about how I should try to concentrate on the last year of my studies and not do anything stupid. I like my uncle, he has done many things for my mother even though he is not even related to her by blood. My aunt insisted that we move in with them back when my dad left us, which we did.

He's a great guy, he really is, but sometimes he gets on my nerves. He doesn't let me breathe freely, always saying that I need to grow up and take on responsibilities. I agree with him too, I haven't been the best nephew and have let them down a lot, that's who I am. But I'm trying really hard.

"When will you have your first exam, Jungkook?" he asks as I sit in a corner of the cafeteria, giving him nothing but short answers so he can finally let me eat my lunch in peace.

"Not for a few months, Uncle. The year just started." I say, aggressively poking my food with my fork.

I didn't want to pick up the call when I saw his name pop up on the screen, but I knew for sure he would call me several more times today and then scold me if I picked up after the 37th time like I have the last few times.

"Okay, fine. You know what we talked about, right?" he asks and I roll my eyes, glad he can't see it.

I let my eyes drag around the crowded cafeteria. "How can I forget when all you talk about is my studies."

He laughs a little and I can picture him shaking his head right now because he always does that. "I care about you, son. I only want what's best for you."

"I know." I smile a little, knowing he's sincere about it. Like I said before, he's a great guy and he's served a better father role than anyone could.

"You should still call your mom though, she misses you so much."

Just as I'm about to answer him, Irina walks through the cafeteria. Her steps are hurried as if she has an important appointment and needs to hurry. Her gaze is focused forward and her expression is neutral, so I find it hard to figure out her emotions.

"Uncle, I'll call you later, okay?" I say quickly without responding to his last sentence and hang up the call. I could hear him about to say something, but I'm not interested now.

Instead, I leave my half-finished lunch on the table and quickly reach for my backpack. I jump up from my seat and run after her, but her quick steps make her disappear all of a sudden.

We haven't bumped into each other in the last few days, or rather I haven't seen her. After we did our little adventure through the university, she suddenly disappeared. I thought at first that maybe she had gotten sick, but she seemed quite healthy that day.

Her bodyguards didn't show any reaction when we walked back to the cafeteria together, so I think everything was just fine. And then when she showed up back at the university yesterday, she just walked past me without saying hello or smiling. I mean, I'm not forcing her to, but that's something you do when you see people you know.

I hurry through all the rows of tables and on to the exit, positive that I might still catch her. And to my luck, I see her disappear into a hallway to my right with her bodyguards trailing behind her. I follow her, but not knowing exactly why.

My footsteps echo in the empty hallway and I wonder if she saw me too and again decided to ignore me. I spot her walking not too far away and as one of the men, James or whatever his name is, is carrying her books in one arm. Grinning because I know she'll be confused by my presence again because I tend to always show up wherever she is, I reach her until I slow down a few steps behind her.