•56•

...Until a person plops down next to me.

I stare at the side of her face as she sits on the floor with me, resting the back of her head against the concrete. A drop of sweat runs down her temple and her chest heaves and drops with the deep breaths she takes because she probably ran here.

My mouth is open the whole time, which I notice as I feel the nasty dust on my tongue flying through the air. I'm in shock, but maybe I've already died and this is the afterlife? Maybe I'm hallucinating? Maybe God answered my last prayer and sent her to me as imagination so true to make it feel like I could touch her.

But when my arm brushes against hers as I move on my spot, my eyes widen and I realize she's really here.

"Irina?" I screech over the loud gunshot sounds that haven't stopped for a second.

To be honest, I'm surprised she made it behind the pillar unharmed.

She looks at me and ignoring the turmoil of the situation, the side of her lip lifts into a smirk. "Did you miss me, love?"

"I— but how did you— why are you—" I can't get normal sentences out, all I can do is stutter like an idiot, but to say I'm surprised and confused would be an understatement.

"You're not the only one who can climb over the balcony." Her eyebrow jumps playfully as if she's teasing me.

I can't help but grin back. "You're something else, woman." she laughs and her heavenly voice fills my ears, blocking out all gunshot noise for a few seconds. I wish all I could hear was her. "But James?"

Irina turns her head the other way, quietly giving me the answer to my question. I see James sitting on the floor next to Taehyung and James hands Taehyung a full magazine. Our eyes meet and he flashes me back an apologetic look as if he knows I'm going to berate him for it.

Maybe not now, because I'm more grateful than pissed. I don't know what we'd be doing if these two hadn't come to supply us with more ammunition. Irina turns back to me and the playful mood blurs from everyone's face.

We are focused again as the shooting around us is too mind-boggling to ever ignore. Irina and I flinch as a bullet hits the concrete at the edge just a few inches above her head, sending splinters flying in all directions. Her hair fills with the small particles, but neither of us bothers to brush them away.

"Here," she says as she pulls out a full magazine from her pants pocket, which I don't waste any time putting in my pistol and pulling back the slide.

I press a deep, hard kiss to her lips for just a moment before peering out from around the corner. The enemies have moved dangerously close because we have offered them a long time by running out of our ammunition.

I don't know if they saw James and Irina rush in to join us, but they certainly didn't expect us to be able to strike back. Although they were moving freely and openly around the area until a few minutes ago, they quickly try to find a place to hide as we shower bullets in their directions.

It's so loud that I know my ears will be buzzing after all this. And I would probably need a psychiatrist to make sure I don't go completely nuts after the things I've been through. I keep looking out of my hiding place to be able to see where our opponents are and after I've been able to determine their location, I try to shoot only there if possible.

I am so engrossed in my attempts that I don't even notice Irina getting up from her position next to me. She was shooting too, but a few seconds later I hear struggling behind me.