•32•

Nikolai Bazanov

That's the name I'm working for from now on.

I already knew Irina's last name, but I found out her father's first name only last week. We had played 20 questions after I confessed my feelings to her for the first time in the pool and there she had told me her last name. She had skipped a few questions, not wanting to answer, which I didn't understand, and reacted a bit grumpy, but now I understand.

They were questions whose answers I certainly would not have wanted to know at the time.

To be honest it's a bit late to find out her father's full name. And maybe a bit silly to show up at the house of a man who is mafia and you want to work for, but don't even know his full name. But it's whatever. After all, no one noticed.

I did a little research on him on the Internet but did not succeed. At least not in the area where I actually wanted to find him. I thought I could get a better image of him, but all I found were articles about his real estate career. I eventually got sick of constantly seeing the same fake smile in the pictures he posed to interviewers as a successful businessman.

The blanks I had about Nikolai were fortunately filled in by Irina, which was a bit strange to ask her about her own father without really being able to comment on it. I wish I could give her my honest opinion, but at the end of the day it's still her father and that wouldn't be right.

Anyway, he supposedly emigrated to America from Russia many years ago to grow his business here. I'm not surprised he went astray there at a young age, but somehow it's remarkable how far he's come. From a young boy born in a poor neighborhood to a man who gets things laid at his feet with just a snap of his fingers.

It's just a pity that he didn't achieve it legally, then he would have definitely got my respect. But this way I just can't consider him a good man, no matter how okay he is. He's treated me well so far, but that's probably only because I've been good to him. The fact that I saved his daughter's life must have had an impact, too.

So far, he still hasn't let me take care of important things. I can understand that because despite everything, I am still a stranger to him and why should he trust me with things, when even Gabriel, with whom he has done business for years, has betrayed him. You can never be too careful who you trust with your deepest secrets and your weaknesses. Anyone can stab anyone in the back at any second.

We're all standing in his office right now and the fleeting glances Irina and I cast each other whenever no one is watching are exciting and flustering. When her green eyes look into mine and then shyly look away again, I could melt right here and now.

I didn't know her like this. Normally she has never blushed and wasn't really bothered by my teasing comments at first, but now there seems to be a stronger and more sincere bond between us.

After being apart for so many weeks and now finally finding back to each other, I don't think I could ever let her go. My feelings for her seem to grow more every day and I feel like my world revolves only around her. She has me wrapped around her finger and I wouldn't hesitate to do anything for her.

Well, funnily enough, I have already risked my life for her. I don't know what else there could be that I could do for her more than actually dying, but I want to spend a lifetime with her, so that's already eliminated as an option.

"Taehyung," Nikolai calls after the man who is still bugging me every now and then. "You didn't forget about today's delivery at the warehouse, right?"