•57•

My eyes feel like someone poured superglue into them and I can't open them anymore from the way I squeeze them shut. The deafening sound of the bullet as it shoots out of the pistol echoes in my ears like a distant memory.

I wait for my body to feel excruciating pain in a few seconds, as that little piece of metal that can take life cuts through my body and does perhaps irreversible damage.

What does it actually feel like to be shot? I have never suffered great physical pain in my life and have no idea what I am waiting for. The only painful thing I can remember is when a heavy dumbbell fell on my foot and broke my big toe.

Other than that, I have no idea what this unknown pain might be like. Does it feel sharp, like cutting yourself with a knife because the bullet pierces your flesh? Or does it feel like a punch because the bullet is hitting you faster than the eye can perceive?

I wait and wait and wait.

But nothing comes.

All I feel is warmth and the weight of a person pressed against me.

I'm afraid to open my eyes, afraid to see what an outcome the sins of this world have brought upon us. Everything feels like it's been hours, but I know deep inside that no more than three maybe five seconds have passed since I looked into Gabriel's green eyes.

Some force inside me then shakes me back to consciousness and the whole shock is washed off me as if showered with ice-cold water. Very slowly I dare a slit between my eyelids and the light streams in.

But I wish I were blind. I wish I would not experience this moment. I wish I could turn back time.

My eyes find Gabriel still standing a few feet in front of me, too far away to make out the details on his face. But he is standing close enough that I can make out the emotions washing over his face.

His green eyes widen a little in shock or maybe a touch of guilt? I can tell that this probably isn't how he envisioned everything turning out, but I can't quite tell if he's sorry or not.

The arms around my neck, which I couldn't perceive the whole time because my body was in shock, are getting weaker and weaker. I can't see anyone else in the room, just the eyes that shine with the same color as the woman I would give up my life for.

The weight against my body is as light as the weight of a flying bird. I still can't quite grasp what is happening here. My hands lift on their own as I hug the weight back in my arms.

Except this isn't a hug.

Realization hits me harder than a truck racing at full speed. And yet, at this moment, I wish for nothing more than for someone to run me over.

My lower lip trembles and quivers, unable to form any coherent words. The body in my arms pulls back a little, or maybe it's the strength giving up and gravity slowly pulling the weight to the ground.

Irina's green eyes meet mine as our faces are only a few inches apart. Her lips are curved into a soft smile, but it washes away very quickly as her knees buckle and her hands on my shoulders can no longer hold her upright.

Now the memories come racing back into my head and I can think clearly enough again to realize what happened. Gabriel had a gun pointed at me. He didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I was unprotected. And now I am unharmed.

My brain links all this information and there is only one result: Irina threw herself in front of me.

I stutter like crazy as I try to keep Irina's body upright, but it doesn't seem to work. My hands are shaking like crazy and Irina's vanishing strength is not helping me keep her on her feet. We sink to the floor slowly but in unison.