•20•

I think I'm going crazy.

I am standing in a dark, empty room. Nothing seems to make sense at this moment, my brain is switched off. I let my eyes wander over the furniture I can make out in the slight moonlight. They are a dark color, presumably a rich cherry wood that spreads throughout the entire house. They shine a bit bluish through the light and although I can only make out a large shelf and a desk, I know this is an office of some sort.

My body shivers from the inexplicable cold here, my feet pressed naked against the parquet, but the slight breeze coming from the door behind me explains why I suddenly feel so foolish.

Tens of questions swirl across my mind.

What am I doing here?

What if now, at this moment, someone catches me here?

And the most important question of all: Where did she go?

I saw with my own eyes how she entered this room. Or was it an illusion, a deception, and it was the door next to it? Maybe my mind is playing a game on me to show me that next time I'd better stay where I belong. Or maybe I'm still asleep and my soul has astrally projected itself?

What am I actually talking about?

I don't even believe in that kind of shit.

My mental state seems to still be half asleep and I start thinking things that don't even make sense. I run a frustrated hand through my curls and as I do, I can feel my forehead coating itself in a cold sweat.

Regaining my senses, I quickly stumble out of the room and back into the dark hallway. I feel my way along the wall with a hand so that my clumsy steps don't cause me to trip over anything. Paranoia rises in every cell of my body and I keep looking back from where I came to make sure no one saw me.

"Fuck." I grumble as I accidentally brush against the vase from before again, almost knocking it over.

At this point, I might even add that I am practically running, eager to get back to Irina's room as quickly as possible. I should never have left the comfort of her bed and now through my curiosity, I am more confused than before. Nothing seems to be sitting in the right place in my head and it feels like I keep trying to put the wrong puzzle pieces in a place not meant for them.

Back in her room, despite the turmoil in my head, I try to close the door carefully so as not to draw attention. I pace up and down, occasionally brushing through my hair in frustration. Why am I so riled up, anyway?

Because she just fucking vanished into thin air, you idiot.

Yeah, that's why.

But maybe there's a simple explanation? There has to be, we're not in some fucking spooky magical movie where people just disappear like that.

I sit down on the edge of the bed, the soft mattress dipping under my weight, and I try sanity and logic to slowly bring my pounding heart back to a normal pulse. I stare up at the door from my lap, thinking about various things.

I'm probably just exaggerating, the lack of sleep must have played a game on my brain. I just need to chill, take a deep breath and let oxygen get to my brain so I can think clearly again.

I prop myself up on my elbow, my gaze still fixed on the door, until I hear light footsteps some distance away. I panic and with the stress of the moment, I quickly climb under the covers which are still warm from our body temperature. The doorknob rattles a bit and a breeze flows into the room, showing that she has re-entered the room.