•40•

Arriving back at the mansion, the three of us get out of the car. My racing heart has returned to its normal state and I no longer feel like I'm going to faint any second.

Luckily, the fat guy from the mall wasn't fast enough to get to the door before we left. We were able to speed away in the car before he could see our license plate.

I'm sure Nikolai wouldn't be too pleased if somehow the police got involved and since I'm the only one who entered the mall, I would have been the fall guy. For sure.

We make our way together towards the office, which is at the end of the house, and looks out onto the swimming pool. James whistles under his breath as he casually carries the plastic bag containing the phone. We didn't touch the phone, simply because Nikolai ordered us to just bring it.

Maybe there is something on it that he doesn't want us to see and it's not exactly our job to stick our noses into things we don't belong in. We are practically just his servants who facilitate his work. Money really is power in this world. Unfortunately.

Nikolai's voice sounds from the other side of the door and we walk together into his office. His face is curious and expectant. I can imagine that he was waiting for us with anticipating eyes the whole time we were gone. If he himself doesn't even know what it is that's been deposited for him, then it's natural for him to be curious.

"Do you have it?" he asks as James closes the door behind us and we nod in unison. "Very good. I knew my best men wouldn't let me down."

He puts on a small smile and I'm not sure if it's the first time I've seen him this happy. Even though I'm neutral towards Nikolai, I can't deny that it makes me proud that he praises us like that. And also being called one of his best men makes me puff up my chest.

"What is it?" he then asks, looking at each of us in turn as the three of us stand side by side.

James holds out the plastic bag to him. "It's a phone Jungkook found in one of the bathrooms," he says, and I smile over at him appreciatively.

I've liked James from the beginning. He's a correct guy and although he didn't talk much at first, he's funny. I can't even remember the first time I even heard his voice, but I remember laughing when he was annoying Taehyung.

He's maybe around 10 years older than me and although he has a grim appearance, he's actually the exact opposite. At least he is when he's with us, but I'm sure he can be just as scary when he's doing his job with his bright blue eyes. He's not one of Nikolai's best men for nothing.

"A phone?" Nikolai hums questioningly, taking the bag.

The black push-button phone is next fished out by him from the plastic and he stares at it for a few seconds. He presses various buttons, probably having forgotten how a push-button phone even works, since we have somehow all become slaves to smartphones.

Pressing a button on the edge of the overly thick phone, which can probably be used as a sledgehammer because it's so sturdy, the startup tone sounds. I remember that my uncle had an old phone like this for a very long time on which I played that well-known snake game. He refused to change it for many years because, in his words, he didn't want to fall into the trap of marketing and because he is fine with it.

Now he uses the newest model on the market.

We watch Nikolai quietly playing with it and searching it for something important. The annoying noise whenever he presses a button is the only one you hear in the room until after a few minutes he has looked through everything and looks over at us.