Chapter 15 : A Sunset

He saw himself walking down an isolated path. He knew where he had to go. It was as if he had the entire direction memorised in his head. He walked till what felt to him like an eternity. And then there it was,right in front of him. The abyss. That dark, pitch black abyss, pulling him towards itself. He felt his limbs going numb. He wanted to move away, run away, only if the strong pull let him. Everything around him blurred. It was dark all around him. He couldn't see a thing, except for the dark hole pulling him inside, slowly, very slowly.

He shouted, screamed at the top of his lungs, wanting to be heard by somebody, wanting to be rescued. But the path he had walked down was isolate. Devoid of any single being. He gave up, as the pull started to get stronger each passing second, trying to consume him whole.

All of a sudden, he felt he was pushed backwards. He fell on the ground with a thud. He tried to open his eyes, and closed them the next instant, when he saw a bright light in front of him, the glow almost blinded him. Moments later as he felt the intensity of its brightness decreasing, he opened his eyes again.

He saw a petite figure smiling down at him. He had seen that face. He knew he had. Though he couldn't see her face because of the illuminating glow all around her, he definitely could recognise the features.

She started walking in a specific direction, leaving a trail of rays that illuminated the whole path. He stood up, and followed her. She stopped at a distance, and turned to look at him.

He was astonished when he recognised who it was. The girl, it was her. It was Shehnaaz. He ran upto her, while she just stood there not moving an inch, and just when he was about to reach her she vanished.

Gone. Poof. Just like that.

Sidharth woke up, gasping for air,and sweating profusely. It took him a few moments to register it all. He was seeing those nightmares again. He saw Shehnaaz in them. He didn't know what it meant and it terrified him. He gulped down a glass of water, his throat felt parched. It was quarter to 4 in the morning.

He calmed his heart that was beating at such an abnormal rate that he could hear the loud thudding vibrating in his ears. An arm slid on to his waist. He heaved a sigh of relief on finding Shehnaaz sound asleep, her hair scattered on the pillow. Her lips formed a pout even when she was sleeping.

She was there, right beside him, clinging on to him. Her hands shuffled as if searching for his warmth. He laid beside her,a subtle smile making his lips upturned as she let out a soft whimper.

Pressing a kiss on her head, he embraced her. She snuggled more into him and he caressed her hair softly, careful enough to not disturb her peaceful slumber. The tranquility it all was so absurd yet so satisfying to him. The restlessness he felt moments ago was replaced by a serene blissful smile. She was becoming his happy place. As much he resented the idea initially, he did let her in, breaking down the shackles of his own heart. He let her in and he now understood what it means when they say "Home isn't a place, it's a person."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're staring!" she mumbled, still half asleep, as she felt his fingers removing locks of hair that fell on her face. She looked so adorable in her sleep, he couldn't help but sneak a peek at her. Goodness, he wanted to wake up to that lovely face every morning.

Okay calm the fuck down.

You're rushing things way too fast.

He smiled at being caught, continuing to trace the outline of her face.

"Good Morning, sleepy-head" he said, walking in to the washroom to do the morning ritual.

Shehnaaz searched for her phone to check the time, rubbing her eyes open. Her arms felt stiff, she stretched her hands, relaxing them a bit. It was half past 7 in the morning already. He was an early riser. She noted that in her mind and scrolled through her phone.