Chapter 16 : I'm Sorry

"Get out!" she heard him shouting,followed by a loud bang.

A frightened man came out.

"What happened" somebody asked him.

"Pata nahi Sir kaafi gusse me lag rahe hain" the man murmured.

The landline on her table started ringing loudly as soonas she was about to get up and walk across to the man trying to know what put Sidharth in a foul mood. Heaving a sigh, she picked it up, only to hear him seething in anger.

"Get me a black coffee. Strong. The black-est possible."

She found him sitting with his head held in his hands, he looked exasperated to say the least. She cleared her throat to say something making him aware of her presence.

"Sidharth, what happened? You look disturbed." she said, handing him his coffee.

"Not now. Later." he cut her off, and before she could say anything, he pointed towards the door asking her to leave.

Rude.

She left without saying a word him. She wanted to get angry at him for dismissing her like that but then, it was the workplace afterall. And Sidharth, he was a pro in keeping his work life and personal life separate. There had been times when he had yelled at her in office, he would feel awful when he'd later realise how stern and strict he had been, but there's this thing about him- he doesn't mix the two things with each other. Work is work, and it demands to be treated like that. So when she missed deadlines, when she would get careless, he scolded her, more out if concern than frustration. She would throw tantrums at him after office hours when they'd meet, but by now she had understood how he was.

He called in for an urgent meeting of the head officials. She was on her way to the conference room when she heard him call her.

"I didn't call for you, Miss Gill."

"Huh?"

"You are not needed in here. Now if you'll excuse me.." he said pushing her aside slightly.

"Khadoos kahinka! Pata nahi kaunsa bhoot aa jata hai isme" she rolled her eyes at him and went away, making a mental note to not give in when he pacifies her later.

He seemed angrier and more pissed off than ever before today.

She could sense it. Something was definitely not okay.

Her phone pinged. She read his name. And his message.

"Be safe.
Please."

-----------------------

Sidharth huffed when she didn't pick up her phone, ringing her for the nth time in the past hour. He was worried, anxious, a bit guilt - ridden, and much much much frustrated with the events that had happened today.

He was changed into nightwear by now. He didn't feel like eating and skipped dinner. Anxiety always did this to him. He couldn't help. He was an overthinker. He would take note of even the slightest things and let his mind prod over it till he had to shut it off. It was both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, his logical self would be satiated with the amount of enhanced planning and analysis he would do, the perks of which were quite obviously known to the world, that his decision making was inspirational in his line of business, the steps he took, the plans he made, the deals he signed, all of it were explicitly calculated and analysed.
But just like every coin has two sides, so did this helpless habit of him. He would just sit back and let things build up in head, let them mess his thoughts up, exaggerate his emotional vulnerability and insecurity. He absolutely couldn't help. That was just the way he functioned. And he hated it to the core, at times.