Chapter 11: Worthless?

Life is no less than a journey. It can be hectic, problematic, overbearing ; but it can also be soothing, blissful and serene at times. Till you reach your ultimate destination. And in this long run of life, you may stumble upon a lot of people. Some, you run away from. Some, you let go. And some, you hold on to. And with them, you share your journey,the misery as well as the joy. With them, you walk the entire path, in light and in darkness,in the calm and in the storms. And it is with them that you reach the destination.

Sidharth and Shehnaaz were oblivious of what they were to each other, and how much they needed each other. They were oblivious of how much the other one craved to matter in their respective lives. The professional bond they once shared was long gone, though it still persisted at times. What they had was something more personal, a bit more intimate, than before. They were something more than an employer and an employee, but what exactly they shared, they couldn't quite lay a finger on it.

They were back from the trip, but things obviously had changed between them. He would still stare at her sometimes, while she'd be busy in her work, in complete awe. And she would openly gawk at him when he'd be speaking in a presentation, in that raspy voice. Dear lord, she loved his voice, it sounded so.. hot and the way he'd sometimes utter in a husky tone, she absolutely loved how it sounded. It was the perfect mixture of husky, dominating, humbled, and stern, when required.

"Hey" he greeted her as she walked in with a couple of papers in her hand.

"Hi." she cheered back. She was chirpy and she would squeal while speaking, with excitement laced her words. Her eyes, they shined bright every time she smiled, and they had that sparkle in them, brighter than the starry skies of winter sometimes.

"So...these are some things here, they need your signature, I suggest you go through it once and..." she continued, giving him insights on the files,while he stared at her like a man in search of serenity stares at the dancing waves of the sea on a shore.

"Hello, lost somewhere?!" she asked snapping her fingers bringing him back to reality.

"In your eyes" he mumbled, still in a daze.

"What?"

"Uh.. Wo.. Maine kya kaha... Wo.. Haan.. . Paradise. Paradise, the restaurant? Ever been there?"

"The one thats next to the opposite lane?"

"Han. Achi jagah hai outing ke liye."

She hummed in approval.

"By the way, Shehnaaz, if you don't mind accompanying me, and, I mean, only if you are free, would you like to...go out with me?" he asked.

"What??" she exclaimed in surprise. Sidharth Shukla, the handsome boss, that she had a crush on, asked her out. If someone had asked her a week ago about the possibility of this being true, she'd have laughed it off. But now what they shared, and with things that had happened, this, was kind of way more than what a boss and his assistant should have.

"I mean, are you like..." she took in a breath and said, " Are you seriously asking me out?", uncertainty laced her tone.

"I am. I totally am." She opened her mouth to say something and then closed it the next moment, gulping the lump that was beginning to form in her throat.

"I would love to." she said, with a look in her eyes that matched what he'd seen back in the hotel, D during the trip, when he'd kissed her. It was gratefulness mixed with half parts of adoration and half parts of something he couldn't describe.

He stepped towards her, tilted her chin upwards with his index finger as he peered into her sparkling eyes.

"Exactly what I wanted to hear" he rasped,smiling at her so lovingly, her heart skipped a beat at that.