Chapter 4: The Red Death

HICCUPS POV.

"We did it bud, freed these dragons without any trouble." Hiccup said giving Toothless a pat on the head. Toothless purred back. "Ok almost no trouble." Toothless laughed. "Oh yeah that's really funny." Hiccup replied shoving Toothless's head down towards the sea below.

The Natter flew up to the right of Hiccup and Toothless. It emitted a series of happy squawks as it fluttered its wings. "Your welcome." Hiccup said nodding his head at the dragon. "And how are you two doing?" He asked turning around but to his surprise the two groncles were no where to be seen.

"Hey bud, did you see where those two went." He asked his friend. As he turned back around he noticed that the Natter that was previously off to there right was missing as well. Hiccup pulled back on the saddle making Toothless hover. "What is going on here?" He asked himself more than Toothless.

Toothless suddenly shook his head aggressively. Then he did it again. He let out a pitiful roar that sounded like he was in distress, he began pawing at his head. His flying became uneven and he began to sway. "Toothless what's wrong? Toothless?" Suddenly the dragon put on a large burst of speed. "Toothless what's the matter with you!"

Hiccup shouted as he struggled to stay on the back of his dragon. "What's wrong with you bud!" He shouted trying to steady Toothless but the dragon kept trying to shake him off. Hiccup brought his face level with his friends. Toothless's pupils were slits and his face void of all emotion.

"AAARRGGH!" Hiccup sat up suddenly at the sound of the dragon call, they were now surrounded by dozens of dragons. There were Deadly Natters, Gronkles, Monstrous Nightmares and Hideous Zipplebacks. Even though there were multiple species of dragons they all had the same face, all void of emotion, and there pupils slits.

"Well this is knew." He mumbled to himself. Hiccup spotted the Natter he had rescued to his left and the two Groncles behind him. The majority of the dragons had sheep or large fish gripped tightly in there claws. A Natter flew up to his left and watched him closely.

Hiccup flattened himself onto Toothless's back trying to blend in. After a while the dragon flew away. The sky soon became foggy and he could barely see ten feet in front of his face. "I hope you know where your going bud." He whispered to Toothless.

A sea stack came into view and Toothless drifted around it slowly. "How is there a sea stack all the way up here?" He asked puzzled. Then he noticed that somehow they were almost touching the water. They had gone from high in the sky to water level without him noticing.

The fog ended abruptly and an island could be seen. The island was pure stone. There was no vegetation or a stream he could see. The dragons swooped into a cavern filled with jagged rocks and was only illuminated by a bright light at the exit. They exited the cavern into a massive cave that's top was open to the sky.

The was a large round pit below them that was filled with fog and at the bottom there was a light which he could only assume was magma. There were stone outcroppings that dragons could land on. The outcroppings wrapped around the walls and were packed with dozens of different dragon species. Toothless landed near one of the higher ledges closer to opening at the summit.

The dragons that had flown in with food began to drop it down into the hole. Hiccup dismounted and ran over to the ledge of the stone outcropping that Toothless had landed on. He removed his helmet to get a better look at his surroundings. "So the dragons raid Viking villages to drop all the food down a hole? This doesn't make any sense." He commented to himself.

There was a deep growl behind him and he turned around to see that Toothless's pupils were back to normal and he had a threatened expression on his face. Hiccup rushed to his side and patted him. "Hey it's good to have you back Toothless." But the dragon paid no mind to the comment. He was to focused on the dozens upon dozens of dragons that were around him.

Or not so much the dragons, but where he was. "What is it bud, you know this place?" But Toothless just kept growling. The flock of dragons that had been busy dropping food into the whole had disbanded except for one groncle. It hovered there for a few seconds before regurgitating a small single fish and dropping it into the hole.

Almost immediately after a colossal head emerged from the fog and ate the groncle whole. The sight made his heart skip a beat. A group of groncles next to Hiccup let out sad whimpers at the sight. Hiccup directed his attention to Toothless who's gaze had dropped to the floor and let out a sad whimper.

"I think that's our cue to leave." Hiccup said walking over to Toothless as the massive dragons eyes landed on him. Toothless was so eager to leave his front paws were slipping off the ledge. Hiccup mounted Toothless and the two sped out of the hole at the top. The colossal dragon let out a roar that made stone fall from the ceiling as they left the cave.

Hiccup stopped Toothless to catch his breath in the fresh air. "That was the biggest dragon I've ever seen!" He remarked to Toothless. "It must be there alpha, they steal from Vikings to feed it or else they get eaten themselves!" Toothless began to growl again.

The growling put Hiccup on edge because of what had appeared the last time his friend had been agitated. He looked back to the mountain expecting to see the dragon alpha breaking through the summit but instead he saw a cloud of around 65 dragons. All there faces expressionless and there pupils slits.

A Natter spotted them and fired a magnesium blast that the two were barely able to avoid. That blast was followed by a Monstrous Nightmare who fired and then three groncles. "What's a matter with them? These dragons shouldn't be this hostile!" He said as they dodged more dragon blasts.

"We need to leave." The two sped off at lightning speed towards the rising sun still evading the dragon cloud that was following closely behind them. Natter spines flew past his left and fire past his right. "How are we going to get out of this one bud?"

(Authors Note)
Hello to all my readers. I want to apologize for the wait on this chapter as I've been going through a bit of a writers block but I have broken through it hopefully and will post more chapters soon. Thanks for your patience - Samuel Scutter