Chapter 33: From One Dire Situation to the Next

HICCUPS POV.

Hiccup landed on the snout of the Monstrous Nightmare with a thud clutching to the horn on the front of its snout. The dragon let out a surprised roar as it stumbled back a few steps shaking it's head violently tossing him around like a leaf in a hurricane. Hiccup frantically tried to think of a way out of his current situation which grew more dire with every second but he couldn't, all he could think about was hanging on for dear life. The Monstrous Nightmare roared and slammed it's head into the ground trying to get Hiccup off of it but it's attempt failed.

The dragon raised its head up once again this time slamming its head through a burning house collapsing it's top half. Hiccup coughed and with his free hand frantically brushed sparks and small pieces of debris off himself, thankfully none of the sparks or smoldering pieces had been on him long enough to do any real harm. BOOM, CRASH! The heat around Hiccup became immense and near unbearable. All around him there was the sound of cracking wood and fire. Hiccup's leg slammed into something hard and hot.

Hiccup's eyes momentarily landed on a burning bed and after a moment he realized what was going on. The dragon had decided to charge full force through the burning buildings on Berk to try and free itself of Hiccup. Hiccup counted the number of buildings that they went through as best he could. One, two, three. Hiccup wasn't exactly taking the full force of any of the impact with the buildings but ay any point he could and that would be the end. Four, five, six, seven. For a moment the heat dissipated. The air around him became cooler for a brief moment before the dragon drove itself through the wall of a building that had not yet begun to burn.

The impact with the wooden wall ripped Hiccup off the dragons snout and spiraling down to the houses interior.  The Monstrous Nightmare turned around repeatedly destroying the walls of the house looking for an exit. Hiccup crawled back a few feet dodging varying sizes of wood that rained down on him. The dragon whipped it's tail in distress to the side of the house cracking the wooden walls before hurling itself into another wall shattering it. The dragon shot puffs of searing hot flame all around the house missing him by a few feet. Hiccup looked up and saw the roof coming down and he scrambled up from the floor and without thinking threw himself out of a window.

There was a gush of wind followed by a storm of dust as the building collapsed behind him. Hiccup hit the ash covered floor and laid there panting heavily. Hiccup pulled himself up from the ground coughing and breathing heavily. Hiccup waved his hand around in front of his face trying to move the obscuring ash and dust out of his field of vision but it didn't work as whenever he cleared the air more dust and much more ash would take it's place. The building that him and the Monstrous Nightmare had been in just moments before was now a pile of rubble quickly being consumed by the ravenous fire.

From inside the wooden pile Hiccup could hear the agitated breaths from the Monstrous Nightmare. Part of the blazing wood pile shifted and collapsed revealing one of the dragons wings. The dragon shifted from under the wood trying to free itself but it was currently futile but in a matter of minuets when the wood burned away enough it would be easy for it to escape from. Hiccup turned away and started to move away as fast as his aching body would allow. Where was everyone? The streets of Berk were void of any life despite the sound of dragon calls and Vikings yelling and cursing all around him.

Hiccup looked away from an overturned body on the side of the road and grimaced, he was almost certain that he would have hurled all over the inside of his helmet if his stomach hadn't had been as empty as a tomb. Hiccups eyes landed on a series of Viking sized drag marks that were overlapped by Nadder footprints. Inside a burning building Hiccup saw a Vikings helmet being melted by the flames and he couldn't stop himself from thinking if anyone had been wearing that helmet when it had been initially engulfed in flames or if it had just been set neatly on a mantle.

The building suddenly collapsed around the helmet smothering it in fire and sparks. There was the cracking of wood and the sound of rapid heavy footsteps and then the noise of flapping wings. Hiccup turned back around and high in the air looking at him with hatred in its yellow eyes was the Monstrous Nightmare still shaking sparks and small pieces of flaming wood off it's orange and black scales. With speeds faster than the average Monstrous Nightmare the dragon dived down towards Hiccup snapping it's jaws trying to catch him and make him into its next meal.

Hiccup ran full speed down the street jumping and ducking to avoid the dragons attempts. "You!" Yelled a Viking as he ran past him "Night Rider!" The Viking ran after him his blood stained axe held above his head. Hiccup looked back and screamed "Watch out!" He warned dropping to the ground but the Viking wasn't as lucky and the Monstrous Nightmare snatched him in its talons and hurled him through the wall of a burning building. From inside the building through the sound of the crackling fire Hiccup could hear the mans screams and pleads for the Gods to bring him a quick death.

Hiccup looked up from the ground at the dragon looming above him. It slowly opened its jaws and Hiccup could see the fire slowly begin to illuminate it's throat but before it could fire on him a bola soared into the dragon wrapping itself around its wings bringing it down with a crash nocking it unconscious. "Night Rider!" Yelled another Viking from behind him. Hiccup stood up and turned around and in front of him was a group of fifteen Vikings all of them stained in their own blood and soot. The Viking at the front of the group raised his sword from his side and pointed it at him. "Stoick isn't here to save you anymore." He said in a cocky tone. "Don't worry." He said lowering his sword back down towards his side.

"I'll make this nice and slow." He charged bellowing his Vikings cry swinging at Hiccup who dropped to the ground evading him easily grabbing a rock and with a single swipe knocking the man out. Suddenly wind gushed all around and from all around Berk all the dragons lifted into the air some with their claws full of sheep and others with their claws full of fish. There were cries of happiness and accomplishment from Vikings except from the ones positioned in front of him. They all raised there weapons and looked at him with hatred. And they charged...

(Authors Note)
Wow! That's was just... I don't even know what to say! I'm so sorry, it's been a month since my last update I'm terribly sorry that I made you all wait that long. I want to say that I'm going to have a more frequent uploading schedule but sadly I just went back into school and am super busy but I'll try my best but don't expect any updates soon. Well that's it for me, as always if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes please leave a comment on that paragraph and I'll get to them when I can.

-Samuel Scutter