Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝙾𝚗𝚎
╔═══════════════╗
𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚖
╚═══════════════╝

I wish I could say it was a normal evening for the five kids crowded around the board game but I'm afraid that would be a lie.  That perfectly regular night was anything but.  Some may even call it horrific.

We won't get into that yet, though.

"Harrington!" Lucas's voice was static-y over the supercomm sitting on Genie's beside table.  She had a comic book open on her lap but she couldn't focus on reading it with her friend screaming in her ear. Finally, she picked up the damn thing and held it a short length from her face.

"What?" Her voice raised in the slightest, letting Lucas know that she had been hearing him for the last five minutes.

"Are you coming to Mike's?  Over."

"Oh shit, that was right now?" Genie shot into a sitting position, the comic flipping shut.

"Yes, you idiot, get over here! And say 'over' when you're done talking!" Lucas exclaimed.

"Yeah, Genie, hurry up!" Mike's voice was faint in the background.

"Can you grab my sweater, I think I left it at your p-" Will's voice cut out as Lucas took his finger off the button on the supercomm.  Genie rolled her eyes and swung her feet off the bed. 

She hurried through the house, grabbing the blue sweater hanging off the edge of the sofa on her way out.  Hastily, she grabbed Steve's old jacket and shrugged it on, rushing out the front door and hopping on her bike.

Arriving at the Wheeler's house within a few minutes and parking her bike beside the boys', she knocked on the door loudly. Mrs Wheeler opened it with a smile.

"Genie! The boys said you'd be coming, they're downstairs." She opened the door wider and Genie stepped inside the house.

"Thanks, Mrs Wheeler!" The girl exclaimed, rushing down the stairs to greet the boys.

"Look who's finally here!" Lucas announced, glancing at Genie who stood breathlessly at his side.

"Shut up." She muttered, pulling the sweater from off her shoulder and tossing it at Will.

"We saved you some pizza!" Will held up the box with three pieces left in it.

"No, Will saved you some pizza." Dustin teased, laughing as he fiddled with a card.  Will rolled his eyes and shoved the pizza box into Genie's arms.  Genie simply laughed.  She was used to the boys teasing each other like this.  If they didn't, Genie would be worried.

As the boys played their game, Genie leaned back against the chair she had pulled up and bit into a slice of pizza, casually wiping the grease on the side of her black sweatpants.

She looked up, trying to interest herself in the nonsense coming from the circle of boys before her. Her gaze soon drifted over to Will who she found was already looking at her. Both blushed and their eyes darted elsewhere.

"It's not the Demogorgon." Lucas was saying, shaking his head in disbelief.

"An army of Troglodytes charges into the chamber!" Mike exclaimed, slamming a black figurine down on the board. Genie shook her head, a smile forming on her face as Lucas raised his arms in triumph.