Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Tᴡᴏ

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝙾𝚗𝚎
╔═══════════════╗
𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕
╚═══════════════╝

The other side was darker, colder.  It make Genie's eyes water and her lungs scream in protest to the air.  The fear didn't go away.  It intensified, merging with sadness and so, so much pain.

Genie shivered and turned in aimless circles.  As much as her brain wanted to turn back, to run towards where she thought her friends still stood, her body wouldn't let her.  She was trapped.

"Hello?" She called out in a strangled voice.  No answer.

The woods looked eerily similar to the ones she had just walked through.  It wasn't raining here, though.  It was just cold.  Really cold.

"Hello!" She called again.  This time, a faint voice came from the distance.

"G-Genie?" The voice was quiet and shaky.  It wasn't coming from anywhere near her, that was for sure.  She knew it, though.  She'd know that voice anywhere.

"Will!" She started stumbling towards him as fast as her legs would carry her.  The sound of his voice carried through the dark forest, getting louder as Genie grew closer.

The fear was gone, replaced with such hope that she couldn't help but crack a smile.  She ignored the trickle of blood that ran down her face as she ran.

Soon enough, Will came into view.  He was sitting on the ground with his knees pulled to his chest.  When he saw her, he quickly got to his feet and Genie barrelled into him, embracing him tightly.

"You're okay." Genie breathed in relief.  Will was shivering, his skin was unusually cold.

"How did you find me?" Will asked, pulling away from the hug.  The two sat on the ground, cross-legged and Genie sighed.

"A bush." Was all she said—was all she could think to say.  Will looked at her strangely and she just rested her head in her hands.  "I just crawled through a bush."

She wanted to explain the fear drawing her towards him but she couldn't because it was gone.  Will ignored her bloody nose, assuming she got it from running through the woods.

"Do you know where?" He asked, glancing at the dark area behind her.  Genie turned and her heart sped up.  She didn't know what direction she came from let alone which bush.

"No, I- I'm sorry." She sighed, shaking her head. Will was disappointed but he didn't let Genie know that.

"It's okay, Genie, really. Come on I'll show you around." He smiled ever so slightly.

Genie's throat burned from the unfamiliar air and she immediately knew this place wasn't good for her. This was the worst she'd felt in a long time and she'd only jut arrived. Will had been there for a full day.

Genie managed to smile back at him and grabbed his outstretched hand, allowing him to pull her to her feet.

"Thanks." She mumbled, standing beside him and wrapping her jacket tighter around her body. It was colder here and Genie figured it must've been past curfew.

"Castle Byers is over here!" Will kept his hold on Genie's hand and began to jog in the direction of what Genie could only make out as a clump of darkness.