Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Sᴇᴠᴇɴ

𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝙾𝚗𝚎
╔═══════════════╗
𝚟𝚒𝚛𝚞𝚜
╚═══════════════╝

Genie leaned against the wall with her arms crossed.  She was tired and upset and most of all she was scared.

Ever since she learned of her powers, her emotional senses seemed to be heightened.  It's like her feelings were dialled to eleven.

"Hey, kid." Steve came around the corner and put an arm around his little sister.  She turned and hugged him.

"Hi." She said, her voice cracking. 

"Are you okay?  Be truthful." Steve kneeled to her eye level an put a hand on either of her shoulders.

Just like that, Genie started to cry.  She broke, cracked, snapped, whatever you wanna call it.

Steve wrapped her in a hug and reassuringly stroked her hair as she sobbed into his shoulder.  He was concerned.  His sister hadn't cried since she was about seven years old.  Now at thirteen she was bawling her eyes out.  She had a good reason though.

"I-I was supposed to protect-protect him." She blubbered, tripping over her words, "Not the other way around."

Steve sighed, heartbroken by the amount of pressure his sister had put upon herself.

"Don't blame yourself, it wasn't your job to protect anyone."

"But, with El gone...I don't know it just feels like I have this new responsibility." She exhaled shakily.

"It's not your job to protect us. Just take care of yourself, kid."

Genie was glad for the consoling brother she had in front of her.  It was comforting knowing someone was there for her.

After about two more minutes, Genie sniffled and pulled away.

"Thanks, Steve." She said in a quiet voice.  Steve smiled and patted her shoulder.

"Anytime, Genie.  Now, let's go help them cure your friend, shall we?" He stood up and gestured to the kitchen where the others were gathered.  They payed no attention to the puffiness of Genie's eyes.

"His army." Mike was saying, "Maybe if we stop him we can stop his army too!"

"It got Will that day on the field," Genie spoke up from the doorway.  She approached the table and leaned down, "It's like a disease, a virus."

"And this virus, it's connecting him to the tunnels, the monsters, everything!" Mike exclaimed in realization. A small smile of hope appeared on Genie's face.

"Woah, woah, slow down." Steve tried to grasp what the younger kids were saying.

"Basically, the shadow monster is like the mastermind behind it all.  It's in control of everything.  Meaning if it gets hurt then so does Will." Genie informed her clueless brother.

"And so does Dart." Lucas chimed in.

"Yeah, it's like what Mr Clarke taught us. The hive minds." Mike nodded.