If Jia Had A Theme Song, It Would Be 'Every Breath You Take' By The Police

"Wow," Namju stared at Kyung, standing outside of the apartment, "I didn't know you could make that face."

The wide smile evaporated off of Kyung's face, instantly replaced by a frown. "What are you doing here?" Geumbi waited patiently by his feet, wagging her tail excitedly at the sight of a new person.

Eyeing the dog with one raised brow, Namju shoved one hand in the pocket of his plaid trousers, "Just wanted to check on you."

"You...wanted to check on me?"

"Can't I check on a friend?"

Kyung walked past him, pressing the passcode in, "Honestly, no. It's not like you. Do you want to come in—wipe your feet! No, not you. I meant Geumbi."

"...Right." Namju followed him inside, carefully avoiding the Retriever, "Thanks—I can list a number of things that you've done recently which are out of character for you, starting with Kang Jia—"

He cut him off, "Yeah, okay, I get it."

This was a bit strange. Was Namju's personality changing as well? He wasn't under the control of the Writer anymore either. Maybe this was affecting everyone? But it had been months since the Writer had been...cut away, for the lack of better terminology. Had Kyung been so...busy that he hadn't noticed it?

He watched Namju look around the apartment, visibly impressed, as he took his blazer off and draped it over one of the high chairs by the kitchen. The boy peered at one of the photo frames on the side table and made a face.

"So, does she make you sleep on the doormat?"

☘☘☘

Danoh had roped Dohwa in to help her find out what Haru was hiding from her. They had tiptoed after him quietly once he had left work, and with each unfamiliar turn the boy took, Danoh's eyebrows threatened to fly off her forehead.

"Hey..." Dohwa frowned, sneaking a peek from behind the telephone pole, "I think I know where he is headed. I used to walk Jia home this way."

"He can't be going over to her place. She's still at work." Danoh moved ahead to hide by a wall, "They're not even friends."

When Haru entered a very familiar condominium, Dohwa fought the urge to say 'I told you so' because what if she slammed her fist into his gut when he did? They trailed after him and it wasn't till they got into the second elevator that Danoh asked.

"How do we know what floor he's on?"

"Fifth." Dohwa answered automatically.

"Why?"

"Jia's on the fifth."

"I know she lives on the fifth. But..." She stared at him with suspicion, "What are you implying?"

"Nothing!" He shook his head vigorously, pressing the floor button anyway, "He could be visiting someone else as well. Like...like some long lost relative that he just discovered or...a friend...?" He trailed off with an awkward laugh, scared of the unamused face she was making.

The elevator lobby was enclosed, with shiny tiles that reflected the dim yellow light. The end of the lobby split into two hallways and they found Haru waiting outside the one of the only two apartments on the floor, in the hallway on the left. They peeped into the corridor with silent anticipation.