Kang Jia AKA Nancy Drew AKA I-Never-Respect-The-Decisions-I-Take

Kang Jia AKA Nancy Drew AKA I-Never-Follow-The-Decisions-I-Make

Park Yunhee had leukaemia or some shit and she needed a bone marrow donor because she was dying but frankly, Jia couldn't give a flying fuck. She stared impassively at the woman and her husband as they stood by the sofas with the coffee table in between them and her, explaining their plight to her. Apparently, they had strong suspicions that she would be a donor match.

Their assumption that Jia would drop everything to aid the woman was honestly pissing off.

"You're quite bold, I'll give you that." Jia crossed her arms over her chest, "What makes you think I care what happens to you?"

The woman pursed her lips, "I know things are bitter between us—"

She muffled a chuckle, "Bitter? You handed me over to a trafficking ring for petty cash. You locked me up, starved me, and beat the shit out of me when you were angry. And when you couldn't take it anymore, you dumped me out in the city, in the middle of the night. Things aren't fucking bitter between us."

"I'm sorry, Heiran. I really am." At least she had the sense to look guilty, "I should've—I should've been better."

"Yes, you should've."

"I was too young—we both were. We didn't know how to take care of—of..."

This time, Jia did end up laughing. "You talked to him, didn't you?" She asked, "Dad. Did you two sit down and discuss the weather and the excuses you were going to throw at me? Because he gave me the same bullshit."

Park Yunhee's husband cut in, "She regrets it. She really does. Take my word for it, please. Yunhee—she has told me so much about you. We just need to be sure—"

"She regrets it," Jia clenched her jaw and spat at the man, "because she decided to look back on her life now that she knows she's dying. She can't tell you shit about me. This woman doesn't know me at all!" He flinched at her words but it wasn't as if she was lying. She pointed an accusing finger at the woman, "You don't get to do this. You don't get to waltz into my life after ruining it and demand that I help you by saving your life."

Tears shone in Park Yunhee's eyes as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I can't leave Hwayoung like this." She let out a sob, "You have to understand. She's too young."

"So was I." Jia shrieked, startling the two. "I was too young when dad walked out. I was too young when you abandoned me."

The husband opened his mouth and took a step towards her, only for her to stumble back. "Stay away from me." She warned, clutching her bandaged arm. Every man who had ever been associated with Park Yunhee had played a part in damaging her and this man could be no different.

"You let those men hurt me. The ones you brought home. I screamed and screamed for you to help me but you never heard a word, did you? Every night, I begged you to save me!" The man's grip on his wife's shoulder tightened and they lowered their heads. "You said you loved me, mom," Jia held back her own tears because she would not give these people the satisfaction of seeing her vulnerable, "You said you loved me, that you would come back for me. You lied and I believed you!"

"Heiran, I'm sorry—"

"Stop saying that!" She screamed, forgetting that there were people in this building who could probably hear her, "Your apologies are never going to mean anything to me. It's not going to fix the years of pain you've caused me. It's not going to erase the scars you carved into my body. It's not going to fix me. You don't know how you've ruined me and I hate you for it."