Are You Even a Writer If Your Characters Aren't As Miserable As You?

They buried Geumbi in the forest, by the lake.

It had grown dark by the time they had wrapped everything up. Jia hadn't said anything since they had returned.

This was so...strange. The week she spent in the hospital had felt like an eternity. But looking back, she thought of how Geumbi had been taken from her in the blink of an eye. A week ago, she had been running around the estate, wagging her tail at anyone who smiled at her. Now, she was in a box under the dirt.

Jia wanted to claw at her throat because the knot in her chest was stopping her from breathing. She wanted to go home. She wanted to lie down, hide under the covers, and pretend that none of this was real.

"Hey," she jolted out of her thoughts as Siwon placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's getting late. Come on," he jerked his head towards the parking, "I'll drop you and Kyung home."

In all honesty, she hadn't expected Kyung to show up. His father was waiting and watching, expecting him to slip up or go against him so that he could 'set him straight' (despite him saying that, y'know, he'd be nicer). But she was grateful that he was here.

Even if she barely uttered more than a word to him.

☘☘☘

Kyung followed Jia out of the car, telling Siwon that he was fine with walking back. He walked her to the elevator lobby and then stood by the door of the lift as she slipped in.

"You're not coming up?" Jia asked in a hoarse voice.

He shook his head, "I can't. My father's most probably waiting for an explanation since I pretty much left without a word."

She looked dejected and slightly guilty, "Oh. Okay. I'll...um, see you at school, then."

In three strides, Kyung had his arms around her. (He remembered how uncomfortable she felt every time someone touched the back of her head while hugging her). Jia immediately sunk into the embrace, gripping the back of his shirt as if her life depended on it.

"You should've stayed back with your grandfather." He said.

"I want to be alone."

Pulling back slightly, he frowned at her, "What if I suddenly changed my mind and said that I wanted to come up with you?"

She was quiet for a few seconds, picking at the top button of his shirt, and then mumbled, "You being around is different. I'd rather be alone with you than on my own."

Just the way Jia sounded made him wish that his father would spontaneously combust into flames or vanish so that they'd never have to worry about him again. There would be no incessant phone calls or texts, demanding where he is. Nobody would "whore him out", as Hwan had worded it, for the sake of money. Kyung would be free to live the rest of his life with Jia.

"You should get going." He was brought out of his thoughts as she stood on her tiptoes to brush her lips against his, "I love you."

Rubbing his thumb over her cheek, Kyung managed a flimsy smile, "I love you."

He turned halfway before halting and grabbing her by the wrist, pulling her into a bone crushing hug again because, goddammit, he was hurting too. For a dog, Geumbi sure made him care more than he had in quite a while.

"I'll call you." Kyung said, burrowing his face in the side of her neck, "once I get back."

Jia's fingers found their way to his hair, (nothing in this world could make him accept that he liked how she brushed his hair), "I'd like that."