Chapter 2

Everyone seemed to disperse into small groups and wander off, Bell started to follow the two mothers before a hand was placed on her arm to stop her. She turned to be greeted with Rick. "Hey, Bella, is Bella okay?" He asked

She smiled and responded. "Of course it is Rick, what can I do for ya?" She asked, assuming that he wasn't stopping her to confirm a nickname.

"I just wanted to apologize, for Shane, he's not normally this bad, we've just been let down quite a bit and although we were all hoping Fort Benning was the answer, well he seemed almost positive it would be it for us." He said with a small sigh.

She just smiled and nodded in understanding, although she understood what he was saying, there were other reasons for her not being fond of him.

Even though she had just met him, she could tell the kind of man he was, the kind to challenge authority, the kind that doesn't play with others, and a need to always put in his opinion when it's not needed nor wanted. Being a staff sergeant and being in charge of lots of different kinds of people, she'd seen the type before, and it didn't help that he reminded her of her ex. Under normal circumstances she would have a man like that either whipped into shape in a minute, or transferred into a different unit.

But seeing as neither of those were options for her, for this wasn't her group, she decided to suck it up. She knew how to play well with others, even if it meant faking it.

"I understand, I can tell y'all have had a hard time, don't worry about me, I don't get my feelings hurt very easily." She said with a smile and shrug of her shoulders before continuing. "But I'll talk to him, try and set the peace, if that'll make it easier for ya." She said hoping this would make Ricks life a bit easier.

He respond with a grateful smile. "That would be helpful, thank you, for everything." he said.

"Don't thank me yet, not till I get you and this group somewhere safe." She replied, ending the conversation with a smile and walking towards the direction of where she saw Lori rummaging through the back of a car.

"Hey, Lori." Bell addressed the mother who turned towards her, waiting for whatever she had to say. "I just wanna apologize real quick for earlier." Lori looked at her confused so she continued. "Ya know, with the cussin, I haven't been around kids in a while, I'm used to vulgar soldiers who openly tell me about their steamy shits." She ended with a small smile.

Lori gave her a small chuckle and shook her head before responding. "Don't worry about it, seems silly really, the worlds gone upside down, the dead walk the earth to eat us, and here I am concerned about my son hearing some words." She finished with a huff.

Bell just shook her head and responded. "Don't seem silly to me, nothing wrong with wanting to keep your son innocent and safe, even if it is just words."

Lori responded with a grateful smile. "Well he certainly seems to like ya, not just anyone can make him laugh, so you've certainly got a fan."

She chuckled. "Oh I can make anyone laugh, especially kids, shoot I bet I could even get 'ol cranky over there to smile." She said with a look of determination in Shane's direction.

"Well Bell, we certainly need that, now more than ever." She replied with a smile.

"Happy to provide my services, just shout if ya ever need a giggle." She ended with a smirk.

She headed off towards some more cars, she reached a red car and looked through the window, when she saw it was empty of any dead she opened the door, knife raised just in case.

Nothing came out towards her so she started to scavenge the car, bent across the drivers seat and reaching towards the back where she found some mints, two water bottles, and a couple of crunchy bars. She slipped her bag off and stuffed them inside.