Chapter 6

Daryl and Beth

It had only been a few days since the prison was lost. Daryl and Beth had escaped together. They camped out the first few nights, but then Beth kept going on about wanting a drink. Daryl hadn't the faintest idea why, this seemed like the worst time to have one, but she was insistent on it.

 They had raided a golf country club in search of some drinks, but all they found was peach schnapps, and Daryl refused to let the girls first drink be schnapps. So he took her to an old abandoned house that he had found on a run with Michonne a while back. He remembered moonshine being there so he figured that would be the best first drink for her, a real redneck welcome to drinking.

Daryl handed the girl a cup and poured in some moonshine for her. "That's a real first drink right there." The girl looked hesitant. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing." She said looking to the cup. "It's just...my dad used to always say bad moonshine can make you go blind."

"Ain't nothing worth seeing out there anymore anyway." Daryl replied simply.

So with that, she took a sip. She scrunched up her face in disgust. "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted." But she continued to drink anyway. She poured another glass.

"Slow down." Daryl warned her.

"This ones for you." She replied.

"Nah I'm good." He said, rejecting the drink.

"Why?"

"Someone's gotta keep watch." Daryl replied.

"So what, you're like my chaperone now?"

He walked away. "Nah, just drink lots of water."

"Yes, Mr. Dixon." She replied sarcastically.

Her words took him back to a about a week ago when Bell had joked around with him, giving him the same name. He shook the woman from his head. He didn't want to think of her right now, he didn't want to think about anything. He wanted to remain numb.

A bit later Beth continued to drink. She thought up an idea to play a drinking game. Daryl figured they might as well since they were gonna be stuck here till the Walker from outside left.

"So first, I say something I've never done, and if you have done it, you drink, and if you haven't, I drink." She explained the rules of the game to the man. "Then we switch. You really don't know this game?"

"I ain't never needed a game to get lit before." He replied simply.

"Wait, are we starting?" She asked.

"How do you know this game?" He asked, as this was supposedly her first time drinking.

"My friends played. I watched. Okay, I'll start." She thought for a moment. "I've never, shot a crossbow. So now you drink."

"Ain't much of a game." He replied as he took his sip.

"That was just a warm up." She replied. "Now you go."

"I don't know." He mumbled.

"Just say the first thing that pops in your head."

"I've never been out of Georgia." He answered.

"Really? Okay, good one." She took a sip. "I've never, been drunk and did something I regretted."