Chapter 1: The Accolade

JEDI TEMPLE,  CORUSCANT

BRYKA ACRUX

     Those beady eyes were fixated on me, gleaming with pride. His stance was wide, one pair of his arms crossed, the other on his hips. I refused to acknowledge him, to feed him with the satisfaction that this was his accomplishment. I passed the trials, mostly to spite him, which admittedly shouldn't be a motive for a Jedi. It was good enough for me, though.

     An eerie stillness befell the Temple the moment we arrived. Murmurs from the other Jedi eventually ended the silence as we walked by. Once we reached the Hall of Knighthood, a foreign nervousness climbed up my spine. It wasn't the kind of nervousness felt before battle, but rather the exciting kind that one has anticipated for a long time. Being knighted meant no longer being an apprentice, but a full Jedi Knight. Most importantly, being knighted meant getting away from Krell.

     The Besalisk's steps echoed as he strutted across the waiting room to gaze out the window. He took a deep breath as if the air were crisp. "If only Graffias were here to see this day." I tensed at the mention of my former Master.

     Graffias Shaula was killed in the first month of the war by General Grievous. Shortly after his death, the Council ordered Master Pong Krell to take me on as his Padawan. Shaula and Krell were close, like brothers. I never understood what Shaula saw in Krell, nor why the Council saw it fit for him to finish my training.

     But none of that mattered anymore. What did matter were the wrinkles on my pants leg. Master Krell would scold me if he saw them. Inconspicuously, I crossed a leg over to hide the wrinkles. The nerves remained. I began to shake my leg, hoping to mask my suspense. Truthfully, fidgeting helped calm me down. As a kid, I was told it was a natural response and a sign of a skillful warrior. Master Krell said it was a foolish habit and a sign of being undisciplined.

     "What did I say about the leg bouncing?" He chastised. I immediately stopped but continued to softly tap my finger against my side. "Padawan, come. Join me." Reluctantly I pushed myself up from the waiting chair and sauntered over to the window. The window overlooked the meditation balconies. Seeing the sight of Masters with their Padawans meditating caused a deep ache in my soul. Shaula helped me learn to meditate and overcome my quirks to focus. Krell never bothered with meditation. He claimed that in war, there was always a matter more pressing.

     My eyes shifted to the skyline; the sunrise painted with red and pink flames, daylight and night battling for the sky. "Do you think this war will ever end?"

     "War never ends. It only rests until it is reawoken." The great door behind us swung open. Krell cleared his throat. "It is time." I nodded and turned to enter. "Bryka." I looked back at my master, hoping for him to say something encouraging or something along the lines of being proud of me. "Don't think I didn't notice those wrinkles." I rolled my eyes as I walked into the black room. It was gonna be dark in there anyway, so it didn't matter.

     Light instantaneously illuminated the room. Thin lines of blues and greens and even a purple danced to life. Master Yoda broke the silence. "Step forward, Padawan." I approached, taking a knee and bowing my head. I attempted to hide my grin, but it was useless. I caught a glimpse at Master Yoda. He remained professional, but in his eyes, a hint of a smile was wanting to break through.

     "Bryka Acrux, by the right of the Council, by the will of the Force, I dub thee Jedi," With a single flash of his saber, and my braid fell to the floor. "Knight of the Republic."

✮✮✮✮✮

     Krell had much to discuss with a few of the Council members, so I had a moment to breathe. I retreated to the Room of a Thousand Fountains. The familiar fragrances of the Ithorian roses, the hushed running water, and the songs of the little birds brought joy to my heart. It reminded me of my home on Takodana. Our little house on the edge of the water, surrounded by towers of trees where Ma and Pa would let my three brothers and I play till dusk. This room brought me back to my center. Only a few Jedi stood near the entrance. I made my way back to a secret nook I discovered when I was eight. Well, it wasn't secret, but not many went to this spot, which made it perfect.

     Once I was alone, I kicked off my boots, pulled off my socks, laid out on the grass, and placed my hands behind my head. The burdens from a whole year of war dissipated as I drifted into peacefulness.

     "Ahem."

     I bolted up, startled by the small green creature beside me. I accidentally kicked my boots, which made their way towards the pool. I caught them quickly but didn't save my socks in time.

     "Master Yoda! My apologies. I didn't see you there."

     Yoda laughed as he held up a hand to fish out my socks from the pool. They drifted towards me midair, dripping. I grabbed them and began ringing them out. Wet socks. Just my luck.

     "When mastering peace, block out any distractions we must. But by blocking these distractions, found vulnerable in peace we are." He let out a sigh. "I sense heavy thoughts. Troubled you are."

     "I'll just wait for them to dry." I threw the socks onto the warm rocks behind me.

     "Granted you much patience your trials have. Even training with Krell as your Master, a fine Jedi you've become."

     "Master, how can I even call myself a Jedi? The Jedi are protectors. But what about the soldiers that have died? Many men, good men, have lost their lives under my command because I followed orders. I didn't protect them," I paused. "All because 'there are greater battles ahead,' and 'we can't risk to save a few lives and jeopardize a Republic victory." I mimicked Krell. "My reputation as Krell's Commander has made the other Jedi turn away from me. No one even gets the chance to know me. Who I am. They just assume that I'm exactly like Krell. I feel as though I've become more of a soldier than a Jedi." I picked up a flat stone beside me and skipped it into the water. With each jump the stone made, a melodious echo chimed. I waited until the ripples smoothed over to speak again. "Maybe I don't deserve this."

      "Nonsense!" He exclaimed. "Guided you down this path the Force has. You've faced much adversity, pain, loss, and yet still you persevered. You decided to not leave the Order, decided to fight for a cause you believe in." He pointed his cane at me. "Noble things these are. Deserve? No. Earned? Yes. Hmm. Difficult one is Pong Krell. Incredible strength, the Council saw in you. That is why Krell trained you. If you know yourself, know your heart, it matters not how others perceive you."

     I tore my attention away from the water and back to Yoda. "Thank you, Master." He nodded.

     "Time to head back, we must. New adventures lie ahead of you." Yoda picked up his cane and began to walk off. I quickly pulled my boots on without my socks and scrambled after him.

✮✮✮✮✮

     They didn't miss a beat. After I returned from the Room of a Thousand Fountains, I was  pushed back on a ship, headed to the Mygeeto System to meet my legion.

     "You're being promoted to General of the 239th. Both the Council and the Republic were impressed by your reputation as my commander. Therefore they see you fit to command these troops." Krell stood back from the holotable.

     I leaned forward to read the screen better. FIRST ASSIGNED JEDI GENERAL.  "You're telling me this legion has gone the entire war without a Jedi in command?"

     "Unfortunately so. The Republic was foolish to trust the assets to command themselves. You will be taking General Yensi's place. The Chancellor made it clear that he wanted a Jedi assigned to each legion. As a political officer, Yensi is being reassigned to Coruscant. I trust in you to clean up his sorry excuse of a Legion. These clones lack correct discipline."

     I raised a brow. "But the 239th has proven themselves effective without the presence of a Jedi. Why so sudden with the change of command?"

     Krell snarled. I held my hands up in defense. It was a valid question. I was convinced Krell believed that he was the only intelligent being in the room at all times. When there was a question he didn't know the answer to, he'd just snarl and wander off. It became comical. I decided it was the perfect time to head back to my quarters and gather what little I had, and get as much rest as I could while I had the chance.