Chapter 20: Me and My Charming Personality

SOMEWHERE IN THE MID-RIM

CAPTAIN GUNNER

     I hummed a nonspecific tune as I browsed the shelves for a tattered book with a dark green cover, which would be easy enough if nearly all these books weren't also ancient and in strange shades of green. I didn't understand the necessity of books. They were rare but sacred to the Jedi. Those musty, deckle-edged pages were like the Jedi in many ways – ancient, mysterious, and full of wisdom. Bryka was drawn to the organic nature of these books. She once explained how she could sense their history – feel their past as if they were breathing and telling her their stories themselves. Her obsession with these old books confused me. Only when she compared the company of books to the company of a good blaster did I somewhat comprehend.

     It was the first time in weeks I was able to be in Bryka's company informally and she immediately put me to work to help her find a misplaced book. I didn't mind. I still wore my PT uniform– a fit black shirt with short sleeves tucked into gray pants with a black belt, a pair of black boots, and a chronometer on my left wrist. Although I freshened before meeting up with Bryka, I briefly panicked that the stench of salty sweat remained. I raised my arm and sniffed. A musky mint and bega-wood cologne filled my nostrils. Whew, I thought, relieved.

     My eyes trailed the thick spines until I stumbled upon one that was, well – tattered and dark green. I pulled it from the shelf to examine it. I turned back towards Bryka, who was using the Force to clear the top shelf one book at a time, inspected them, then threw them into the levitating collection beside her. "Is it The Tenets of Master Lom-Bar Di?" I held up the book.

     Bryka was grinning from ear to ear, letting out a triumphant laugh. "Thank the Force! I thought I lost it. Thank you so much!" The floating books crashed to the floor with a loud thud. She eagerly took the book from me, and held it up in victory, dancing around with excitement.

     I couldn't help but chuckle at her display of enthusiasm as I took to one of the mats in the center of the turret room and laid down. Soon she plopped down beside me and threw open the massive book. My head lifted, and a small pillow was placed underneath. Bryka gave me a simple smile. "It'd be more comfortable."

     I hummed in delight as I folded my arms behind the pillow, contently gazing at the sea of stars visible from the tall port windows.

     "So, what's this book about?" I finally asked.

     "Master Lom-Bar Di was one of the greatest masters. He recorded all of his tips on training Padawans, and how to prepare to take on a Padawan learner. I'm–" She searched for the right word. "Researching. I'm running out of time, and I leave in two rotations. There is so much I don't know yet. I just hope the poor youngling doesn't have high expectations for a Jedi Master. They would be deeply disappointed."

     I studied the hidden expression behind her scar and the lighter splotches across her skin. Her eyes were low, her mouth tightly drawn. "I believe in you." A spark flashed in the blues of her eyes as she looked down at me. "Sure, you're far from what I expected a Jedi to be." The memory of her flying right smack into the side of the gunship on Mygeeto played on repeat in my mind. I snickered. "And you may not be as graceful, but I don't think your Padawan will be disappointed. You're gonna be stellar."

     "I wish you could be there with me the day I choose. It would make it easier." She let out a longing sigh as she flipped a few pages. "I don't even know where to start."

     "Raising a kid Jedi takes hard work and dedication. Start with the basics. Number one. Let the kid Jedi know who is in charge." I lowered my voice a bit and crossed my arms across my chest, perfectly nailing Rook's mannerisms.