Chapter 26: Something True

GALACTIC CITY - ALISANDRE HOTEL

CAPTAIN GUNNER

     I never imagined seeing one of my Generals in a dress, but here I was, gawking and utterly lost for words. Her curly blonde hair glistened from the hundreds of tiny stars woven in each strand, creating a halo above her head from their brilliance. Her dress captured the night sky – luminous specks of glitter swirling against the dark blue fabric. A single pearl hung gracefully around her neck. My heart raced as I fought from holding my gaze on the slit in the skirt – her bare, powerful leg displayed. My thoughts jumbled into a single mess. She was absolutely stellar as she stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do with her hands. A weary smile spread across her face.

     I rose to my feet. "You're wearing a dress," I said as more of a question than a statement. That wasn't what I meant to say, but the words escaped before I could stop them. My stupidity never ceased to amaze me.

     She rolled her eyes exasperatedly. "No, laserbrain, it's a bathing tog." And there it was, that charming sass combined with hints of annoyance. That smile, trying to break through despite her best efforts.

     An invisible force pulled at my chest, drawing me closer to her like a wave, predestined to push its way to the shoreline. An intoxicating lightness swept over me as I reached a hand out to brush her face, yet I stopped before touching her skin. I leaned in close enough to feel her breath against my neck. She looked up at me from under her lids. I studied the deep blue of her eyes. My head was full of the feel of her, her scent, her voice. "You're beautiful," I whispered drunkenly.

     Her cheeks flushed pink as she hummed, "We're gonna be late. Let's go." She quickly spun towards the door, breaking the trance.

     I tore my gaze from her back to the light flooding into the room behind me. C3 stood on the back of the couch, recording the entire interaction. "You better delete that," I pointed.

✮✮✮✮✮

     Chattering, laughter, and faint music echoed throughout the corridor where we waited. From a distant glance the empty ballroom had transformed into a lively scene. Dark green, purple, blue, and maroon silk banners swayed and looped between the marbled pillars. Unfamiliar flowers, assumingly native Takodanain flora, poured from wide vases with narrowed stems. An ethereal glow shone from overhead, lighting the room in a way I could only describe as unreal and alien. Various species paraded around in bold dresses and suits–gold and silver hanging from their necks. Even compared to Bryka, I felt severely underdressed in my GAR uniform.

     As we approached the broad doorway, a short man in a purple suit, accompanied by a bronze protocol droid, stepped in front of us with a datapad tucked under his arms. He pulled it out and observed it without paying us much attention. "Names and reservations?"

     Bryka leaned forward to adjust her heels, placing a hand on my shoulder to help stabilize herself. In return, I braced her arm. She threw the bouncer a courteous smile as he peeled his gaze from his device to her, waiting for an answer. "Bryka Acrux and Gunner Fett, we're with Senator Nuru Dystra."

     What did she just call me?

     The bouncer examined his datapad, "Ah, yes. Here you are. Enjoy your night, Miss." He stepped aside, allowing us to pass.

     "You put me down as Fett?" I clenched my jaw.

     She leaned in closer, "I panicked. What was I supposed to do? Give you my last name?" Her eyes widened. She quickly added, "I...I wasn't implying...I didn't mean-"