Chapter 30: A League of Her Own

IXTLAR GAR RECREATION CENTER - TORNAI CITY

(CT-8628) WEAVE

     "I'm proud of you, Bob," Mess confessed quietly. "You stood your ground, and I respect that. Now, let me see your hand."

     The spacious therapy room could comfortably fit half a platoon. Rows of treatment tables pressed against the left wall, bacta tanks and ice tanks on the right side, and a sink surrounded by tall cabinets occupied the back.

     "How's your eye feeling?" Balao jumped up onto the flat table across from Bob.

     "Nothing too bad, but the lights hurt my head something awful."

     I walked over to the panel to dim the lights, mindfully giving Aria enough light to finish wrapping Bob's shin.

     Bob groaned as Mess flexed out his hand and forced him to bend his fingers. "How does that feel?"

     Bob jerked his head toward Mess, ready to bark a snide remark. His expression softened when he noticed Mess attentively dressing his bloodied knuckles. "It– it hurts, but I don't think anything's broken."

     As the boys relived the tournament, I sauntered over toward the sink, where Aria washed her hands.

     "I can't thank you enough for this," I tilted my head back to Bob.

     "I'm just happy to help."

     "There has to be a way I can make this up to you."

     "Nah, don't worry about it."

     "Please." I held out a clean towel for her to dry her hands.

     "Well," she paused as she took the towel. She met my eyes with a gentle smile."How about you and Bob come to my concert tonight. It'll be dark, so the lights won't strain Bob's eye. Plus, you shared something special to you with me. This is the best way I can thank you for giving me an unforgettable afternoon."

     "Really?" My eyes widened. "You want us there? You're not worried we'll start a fight with the brass section or anything?" I teased.

     She rolled up the towel and playfully popped me with it as she laughed, "Don't you dare. Those instruments are expensive, and I don't even want to think of the damage you and Bob could cause."

     I laughed, rubbing the back of my neck. If she only knew what Bob and I were truly capable of. I'm sure all of Tipoca City rejoiced the day we shipped out.

     "But yes, I'd love it if you'd come. Though, I'd understand if you don't want to."

     "We'll be there."

     Aria glanced down at her chronometer. "Dank Farrik! I need to hurry."

     She scooped up her bag and rushed to the exit. "Bob, keep that ice pack on for ten more minutes, off for five, then on again for another fifteen." She pointed to me. "Tornai Performing Arts Center. Twenty hundred hours. Find Rook."

✭✭✭✭✭

     I pressed down the front of my olive-drab uniform. I hadn't a need for it since General Yensi's departure. I tugged at the cuffs, evening them out. The uni's fabric was comfortable enough to tolerate for several hours, but the heated interior of the train caused beads of sweat to roll down my back, making it nearly impossible to relax.