Chapter 34: The Best Medicine

SACRED MERCY - MESS HALL

BRYKA ACRUX

     Flour covered Bob's face, hair, and clothes. He drummed his fingers against the table and held my stare as if doing so would explain the accident telepathically. Every so often, he would shift his gaze down to Gungi. Tears threatened in the corner of my Padawan's eyes from holding back a flood of laughter.

     One of the ship's fire crews worked behind us to snuff out the rest of the fire in the kitchen. They had to remove the PrepOven and spray a pleasant citrus foam over the scorch marks and other affected areas.

     Glass shattered from somewhere behind us. Bob winced.

     I tilted my head, like how Master Shaula would do when he tried to butter me up to get an answer out of me. "How was your day, Bob?"

     A cloud of flour puffed out of his mouth as he said, "Fine."

     Gungi slapped a paw over his mouth, shifting in his seat as he struggled to hold it together. "Don't encourage this," I advised, leaning over. I would have found this hilarious any other day, but the way reality slammed back into me at my briefing, my patience was too thin to deal with Bob.

     Bob dared to force a toothy smile at me like the whole thing was a joke. But then his face fell, and his eyes went as wide as saucers. He held up his hands. "Gunner, I can explain–"

     I turned to see Gunner walking up, taking a swig of water from his canteen. He must have ditched the top of his armor from the heat. His bare arms gleamed, his black shirt was soaked, and pearls of sweat coated his emotionless face.

     He let out a slow breath.

     "Don't be upset with me," Bob pleaded. "It was an accident."

     I wondered what Gunner would say first. He'd probably comment along the lines of, "Why do you insist on making my life hell?" But no. Instead of an ass-chewing or an ass-kicking, he began laughing. Actually, it was more of a wheezing sound because he could hardly breathe. Bob and I blinked in surprise. Bob had an exceptional talent for wedging himself under Gunner's skin and pushing his buttons. As far as I was aware, the only emotions Gunner could feel around Bob were anger and agitation. Tears began to stream down Gunner's face as he clutched his side, and it didn't take long for Gungi to join in the madness too.

     I swear it was like being around a pack of Tatooine hyenas.

     Bob cautiously laughed, "So you're not mad."

     "Oh, no." Gunner wiped a tear from his eye, catching his breath. His tone evened as he said, "I'm kriffin' furious, you di'kut. I'd ask what you were thinking, but thinking isn't your style, is it?"

     Bob shrugged his reply.

     "Here," Gunner poured water onto a towel over his shoulder. "Wipe your face off."

     Without complaint or question, he took the towel.

     "What's that?" I gestured to his swollen, purple left eye. Bob opened his mouth, most likely to give the most overly detailed account over a minor mishap, so I quickly interrupted. "Never mind. I don't want to know. Go get cleaned up," I dismissed him.

     Gunner and Gungi continued to snicker beside me. I'm glad someone got a good laugh from this.

     My Padawan searched my face for even a hint of a smile. The joy in his eyes gleamed, which caused the ache in my heart to stretch more. The edge of my mouth turned upwards, and I spared him a smile. Gunner chuckled between coughs, earning an eye roll from me. Knowing that no one got hurt, I couldn't deny that the situation seemed funnier now. Gunner's face fell for a brief second, and all the seriousness came back until he met my eyes and began laughing again.