Chapter 23: Feels Like Home

GALACTIC CITY - ALISANDRE HOTEL

CAPTAIN GUNNER

     I was lost for words as my eyes swept the alabaster and moonstone kitchen counters, the dark blue cabinets, and a matching, long table. The room opened to a den area with a long gray couch that looked more comfortable than the bunk in my Captain's Quarters and huge window displaying the mesmerizing cityscape. The suite looked fake. The oddly-shaped light fixtures dangled from above, throwing a warm shadow over the plushy, sleek furniture. Bryka and I slowly entered the suite, afraid if we took a wrong step, we'd activate a trap that would cause the place to collapse.

     "Ru Ru," Bryka said gingerly. "I thought you said you reserved a room, not a palace."

     "Nothing but the best for you, my dear." Dystra beamed.

     I never understood the concept of credits. This was either because credits had no meaning to a clone, or if it did, we wouldn't make much. The Republic paid for everything in the army. Well, the Republic's citizens did.

     "I'm afraid I must take my leave now. Duty calls." Dystra gave Bryka a quick hug before scurrying out the doorway.

     I wandered around the suite, studying the extravagant art pieces complementing the cool colors filling the rooms. As I neared the furthest wall to the left, two panels pulled back, revealing two separate rooms divided by a thick wall. "Woah." I stepped cautiously into the right room as I stared in disbelief at the bed that stretched from one end of the room to the other. You could easily fit six people on this mattress, each with their own space to stretch out. The gray-blue pillows beckoned me as drowsiness pressed down onto my shoulders. Yet with a sudden burst of energy, I leaped from the doorway onto the mattress. My eyes widened as I began to sink into the softness. The bed was swallowing me. Apparently, the distress on my face was comedic as a small laugh escaped Bryka standing at the entry.

     "Comfy?" She mused.

     I sprawled out onto one side of the bed. "I never knew something this comfortable existed." I stretched my arms back, folding them behind my head. My eyelids grew heavy. After today's events, I deserved a good nap. Bryka plopped down on the opposite side of the bed, letting out a sigh of relief.

     "There's another room. Go get your own bed. This one-" I yawned. "This one is mine." I hoped she realized I wasn't being serious and didn't want her to leave. For a split moment, I was struck with the fear that she would.

     "No, sorry. I'm not going anywhere." I could hear her smile. "It's too late. I'm already falling asleep."

     Thank goodness. I turned my head slightly in her direction, catching the awe in her eyes as she read my face. Her golden hair reflected the late afternoon light that poured in from the window, shining vibrantly and casting a warm glow around her. Her focus drifted towards my lips. I mirrored her actions until I realized what I was doing. "Hold it right there, Jedi. I don't know what kind of man you think I am, so get that notion out of your head." I teased.

     A flash of red ran across her face, making her pale blotches stand out even more. Nonetheless, she remained cool as a little scoff escaped her lips. "I wouldn't dare."

     I dared. This feeling inside of me was a notion I didn't want to ignore anymore. Ever since she returned from Coruscant, I found myself thinking about her frequently. Only in the blue of her eyes did I find comfort. Her eyes. So blue that not even the oceans nor skies could overcome their brilliance. I got used to them being the only thing that stirred my heart, the eyes that told me everything would be ok. Without them, without her, everything would turn gray. After all we've been through, she was the one thing that made me feel safe. A word instantly hit me. Home. Bryka Acrux felt like home.