Chapter 7: Not A Date

SOMEWHERE IN THE AGAMAR SYSTEM

CAPTAIN GUNNER

     Drops rolled down the side of the glass. The refreshing cold water soothed my parched mouth.

     "To another successful mission." Winters declared, holding up his glass of water. "And to four months."

    I rolled my eyes. Has it only been four months sober?

      "We should celebrate with a few drinks, don't you think?" I joked. I was proud of my progress, but every once in a while I needed something a bit stronger than water. Winters didn't drink too often, but he gave it up too to help encourage and support me. I didn't have trouble going to the bar on the cruiser anymore. My headaches were gone, and I began noticing a shift in my mood as well.

     "Ya know, the General was impressed by your effectiveness in reclaiming the Lurmen's home from the Seppies." He informed me between sips. "So naturally, I had to brag on you and your men at the Murkhana Campaign. Did you know Acrux also finds marine life fascinating?"

     "Yeah, you too are great pals, huh?" Winters always held an interest in the creatures that resided in the oceans on various planets. It didn't surprise me in the faintest that he found a way to bring up the topic to General Acrux. By the starstruck look on her face when she first met Winters, it was obvious they were kindred spirits.

     "Oh, come on, Gunner. Give her a chance. She's great once you get to know her."

     "But I already know her," I explained. "She's my General. She gives me orders, and I follow them."

     "A good leader takes time to get to know his troops and his superiors." Winters ran a finger along the brim of his glass. "You used to never pass up an opportunity to strike up a conversation and make acquaintances. Go grab some food with her. Get to know the real her," he suggested.

     "So you mean like a date?"

     "No."

     "You just described a date. First off, she is my superior and that is highly inappropriate. Secondly, she's a poor excuse for a Jedi, but a Jedi nonetheless. Don't they have a rule or something against anything like that? And lastly, I'm not sure she'd even want to talk to me."

     Winters laughed. "You're missing my point, Gunner." He shook his head. A serious, yet sincere tone entered his voice. "You're my closest brother, and I care about you. You've been away for far too long. You're going through the motions; it's time to live again. There is no harm in getting to know General Acrux. She is a Jedi after all, and I believe she can help you."

     While I appreciated Winters' concern, I failed to see what getting to know General Acrux had anything to do with helping me slip out of this depression. He flipped his empty glass down and stood from the barstool. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "506th heads out for Coruscant tomorrow. I don't know how long our presences is gonna be required. Take care of yourself." Winters began walking off.

     "Hey!" I called out. "You run into Rex and tell him he still owes me that drink."

     Winters scoffed. "Not a chance."

✮✮✮✮✮

     The next morning I searched the entire ship for General Acrux. I casually asked a few Captains, some Sergeants, and a couple of troopers, but none knew where she was. Asking Rook would raise suspicion, so I was on my own. After finding her quarters to be empty, it occurred to me that she could be off doing some kind of mysterious Jedi stuff.