Chapter 6: Tonight There's Gonna Be A Jailbreak

MYGEETO - KILO XRAY

(CT-8628) WEAVE

     "Weave! Where are you heading to?" Bob exclaimed, trotting down the dark hall to catch up.

     "Thanks to this storm, the entire base's systems are down, and I offered to take the Sergeant's report straight to Commander Rook. Hopefully, Topknot has figured out how to get the backup generator up and running by now." I glanced down at Balao's holopad in my hand. "For now, we do it the old fashion way."

     "Why didn't you just make E8 do it? The droid wouldn't mind."

     "I don't think the droid likes me much," I admitted. My throat began to tickle. I fought back a cough. "Besides, I want to make a good impression on the Commander." Bob chortled. I shot him a daring glare. I was being serious. If I was ever going to get a battlefield commission, I had to impress my COs.

     "Now, if I can figure out this map," I held up the holopad. This place was a maze.

     Bob reached over, taking it from me. "Yeah, I got this."

     "Be careful with that!"

     "Contrary to popular belief, I do know what I'm doing...most of the time."

     Great. Bob had a knack for getting us lost. Countless times on Kamino, he'd lose his way back to the barracks. Without me, Bob would have never gotten off of Kamino. Literally. Much to my surprise, we arrived at the briefing room rather quickly. Perhaps Bob's disorderly mind could comprehend the chaos of this base.

     Captain Gunner, Stacker, and the other Company's Captains surrounded the holotable. "How do we even know if they are still alive?" Stacker remarked.

     Captain Bishop of Charlie Company interrupted. "The boys are out there somewhere. I have all confidence in Sergeant Akers and Bev Squad. They're alive."

     Gunner noticed us from the corner of his eye. "Balao's report, Sir. Do you know where I can find Commander Rook?" I gestured to the holopad. Suddenly the backup power roared to life.

     "He should be here shortly, Trooper. Hang tight for now."

     "Listen up." General Acrux entered the base's briefing room, Commander Rook following behind. I quickly stood at attention while everyone else remained at ease. Bob shot a glare at me, then rolled his eyes. The General leaned against the holotable. "I'm sending a patrol to rescue Bev Squad. Since the mountains are the main line of resistance, we're gonna have to cross them to get to them."

     "We've discovered a facility that the Separatists are using to hold prisoners, 35 klicks north of the base." Commander Rook added. A map flashed to life, showing the distance between our current location and the internment facility.

     "The 506th will provide covering fire. We need ten of our best men for this extraction. They leave tonight, 0100." General Acrux paused. "Think hard on who you want to lead this mission."

     Captain Stacker interposed. "Let Kad Squad take patrol. I can have them ready-"

     "No." The General quickly replied. "Kad's suffered enough for today. They need to rest. We need this to be foolproof and flawless. In and out as quickly as possible. Whoever we send needs to be fully rested."

     The Commanding Officers went back and forth, debating and throwing out names as Bob leaned over. "She's crazy if she thinks anyone would go out in this storm! Those men are as good as gone anyway." What Bob thought was whispering turned out to be loud enough that a hush fell upon the room, and gazes fell upon us. It took every ounce of self-control to keep myself from strangling him.