Chapter 5: That Commando Droid Has My Kriff'n Lightsaber

MYGEETO - KILO XRAY

GENERAL ACRUX

     This had to be my dumbest idea yet. Like all things, scaling the tower was easier said than done. My arms began shaking violently.

     Just a little further. Grip strength don't fail me now.

     An explosion from below shook the structure. I ordered Gunner to have his men aim for the front door, not me! The metal groaned from the foundation of the base. My eyes went wide as the top of the tower fell towards the ground but immediately stopped. Dank Farrik. The metal below creaked. A peal of nervous laughter escaped my lips as I started shifting myself around the framework. "This is fine.This is good. No need to panic, Bryka. You're almost there." I tried calming myself.

    SNAP!

     I jumped from the structure and caught the ledge of the base just in time. I turned my head to see the entire tower plummeting towards the ground. I struggled to get my leg up over the ledge but eventually heaved myself up onto the platform. I took one more glance over the side. Able must have already made it inside.

     I snuck into the base, mindfully staying pressed against the wall. I eventually got to a corridor that was divided into three different passageways. I began towards the one on the far left, but the sound of clanking stopped me dead in my tracks. It was coming from behind. The vent above me gave me a great idea.

     As the two battle droids stopped to observe the vent cover on the ground, I came crashing down on them. They easily crumbled from the impact, their heads sparked with electricity. And I didn't even need to use my saber.

     It didn't take long to find the shield generator. I quickly disabled it.

     "Captain Winters, the shield is down," I called into my comm.

     His response was almost immediate. "Copy that, Acrux. Hope you saved some clankers for us."

     "Naturally." I grinned.

     I rushed back to the three-way corridor. A blaster bolt zoomed towards me. Instinctively I leaped over it, catching myself before crashing to the floor. Two more battle droids held their blasters at me.

     "You two are in for it now," I smirked as I held out my hand, calling my lightsaber into my grasp. Nothing happened. The two droids exchanged looks. "Any second now," I reassured them. If they were smart, they would have commenced fire.

     "Looking for this?" A deeper programmed voice called out from behind. I quickly spun around. A Commando Droid held up my saber. My saber. It must have fallen from my belt when the tower fell. Anger boiled deep within me. I pulled the saber towards me, but the droid and my weapon were unphased.

     "Haha, right." A fleeting smile turned into me running away as blaster bolts zoomed past me.

✮✮✮✮✮

     I threw myself behind a sheet of metal protruding from the ground right outside the base. Able didn't penetrate the base, which pushed us back to where we started. I took a moment to catch my breath.

     Captain Gunner took cover beside me. "General, Bravo Company is nowhere to be found. They must have been cut off. We overextended."

     "Fall back and regroup with Bravo. After you link up, push for the base." Captain Gunner nodded. "I'll be right back," I added.