Chapter 15: See You Around

TO THE CORUSCANT SYSTEM

CAPTAIN GUNNER

     At first, it looked like Bryka was calming the startled droid until Renee called me over with a wild whistle. She passed out. I ran to her, mindful of my footing as the shuttle rocked back and forth. I took her into my arms, sitting on the floor as we escaped the planet's atmosphere. She flashed her bright blue eyes open.

     Relieved, I snickered. "Well, that was something, eh, General."

     "My brother." She breathlessly whispered. I helped her sit up slowly.

     I ignored her deliriousness. "We need to check your injuries." She was broken, bruised, and trembling.

     "My brother is a pirate." Her voice grew louder; sparks of anger licked her words. I got her up, taking her to the cabin with the medical supplies, but she pulled her good arm away from me. "I saw him." Her voice cracked. She wasn't well. Renee and I got her onto the cot. I rebandaged her arm and side as she continued to speak nonsense. I was familiar with ghost stories. My ori'vode used to tell us young cadets stories beyond Kamino. The stories were for spooking us during stormy nights, but there was always a little truth to each story told. If Bryka saw her brother, it was the Force, a ghost, anything besides her actual brother. Her close call with death must have triggered that.

     Ghosts were nothing to me; I saw them every night.

✮✮✮✮✮

     Thane sat back in his pilot seat, resting with his arms crossed and head tilted back. He opened one eye. "How is she?"

     "Terrible." I took the co-pilot seat. "Our only hope is getting back to our Legion and having the boys fix her up. I don't know how she's still fighting. Renee offered to stay by her side." She was alive, and that was all that mattered, but something happened down there that messed with her mind. "She keeps going on about seeing her brother. But that's impossible. She told me her entire family was killed by pirates before she came to Coruscant."

     A sympathetic frown drew across Thane's face. "Guess I'm not the only one who lost everything to pirates."

     I leaned over, placing my forearms on my knees. "You're family?"

     "My home. My people. My family. All of them."

     "So that's why you wanted to stop them back there."

     Thane closed his eyes. "I just want to save everyone else from suffering the way I did."

     I stretched out my legs and released a long yawn. "I've trained with Mandalorians my entire life, but never have I met one so noble and selfless." His face dropped. It was obvious he didn't receive compliments often.

     "I think there's some Tihaar onboard. Wanna drink?" He offered.

     "Would I?!" After this mission, who wouldn't need a drink. "But no, I've done good keeping away from alcohol for a while now."

     "Well, who am I to break a good habit." He threw his arms out. "We're almost to the checkpoint."

      I stood from my seat. "I'll get the supplies ready to drop."

✮✮✮✮✮

     My nightmares kept me from getting any rest. I decided to check on Bryka and make sure she was doing ok. As I entered, she slept soundly, tiny snores here and there. She was safe. The holodisk was safe. After delivering the medical supplies to the refugees, I managed to talk her into getting some proper sleep. It was a miracle she listened. I pulled the stool to the bedside. Her face was puffy, purple, and yellow with a bit of brown covered her left eye. Her entire stomach and torso were also discolored. She wrapped herself with the cream coat, but it started slipping off. I pulled it up over her shoulders and brushed a strand of hair from her face. Her eyelids fluttered.

     "I'm hungry." She mumbled, barely audible.

     "I can go get you something." I readied myself to get up, but she attempted to reach across to grab my arm.

     "Make the droid do it."

     I held her cold hand as Renee returned with a mix of food rations in a blue container. She leaned up. "Are we almost home?" Home. Not too long ago, I rejected the idea that my home was hers; she didn't belong there. Now I realized that I couldn't imagine returning without seeing her face, her notorious eye roll, her laugh. She belonged. The 239th was her family.

✮✮✮✮✮

     Thane pulled the shuttle into bay eight. We were welcomed back with cheers and teases from all the men. Bryka threw an arm around me to help support herself as we walked down the ramp. "I can't thank you enough for saving us. We can pay you handsomely." Bryka suggested.

     "Nah, keep your credits." He waved his hand. Thane turned to Renee and sighed. "It's unfortunate about the cloaking device, though."

     Bryka tilted her head. "Ya know, you helped safely deliver vital intel that can make a ten-year difference in this war. The Republic owes you its gratitude. I don't see how a request for a full pardon would be denied."

     Thane's eyebrows shot upwards. "You're not serious."

     "It's the least we can do, Vod." We clasped forearms. "If you ever need anything, come find us."

     "As long as you're not stranded on a desolate planet with droids on your tail, you got yourself a deal."

     Bryka bowed her head. "Take care, Thane."

     "See you around." He saluted. The ramp closed. We stood in the hangar, watching the ship take off.

✮✮✮✮✮

     Trout and Fisher wouldn't have a single word of protest from the General as they took her to the med bay. They'd nurse her back to health. Four rotations passed. I finally got used to being on a schedule again. I made sure to check on Acrux every day, but not long enough to the point where it would raise suspicion. No one blinked an eye. Well, except for Rook. Nothing ever got past him, and somehow he knew I'd rather be by her side than running training drills. After a brief visit with Bryka, Rook called me to the bridge.

      "Our little disk did good, Gunner. The GAR needed a win, and this," He turned to the holotable. A list of planet names and cities lit up the room. "This will suffice."

      I browsed through the names, most of them in the Outer Rim. Bracca. Lotho Minor. Ovalo 5. "We got a chance to prevent these invasions?"

     Rook placed his hands on his hips. "That's the plan. We're waiting for orders from up top to see where we head next." The hologram in front of us flashed. An incoming transmission. "It's from Captain Rex." Rook and I turned to each other before accepting the transmission.

     The 501st Captain held his helmet tight, a slight tremble in his hand. His eyes were wide, sorrowful, and angry. Something told me this wasn't about that drink he owed me.

     He hesitated. "I need to speak with General Acrux."