Chapter 21: The Invitation

SOMEWHERE IN THE MID-RIM

BRYKA ACRUX

     I kept blinking, fighting to stay awake as the words on the page blurred. Just a few more pages, I reminded myself. My Officer's Quarters were warmer than usual, lulling me into drowsiness. I almost gave in to sleep when I heard a light knock against the door. I was ready to turn my visitor away when I sensed much distress. I forced the doors open and there stood Bob.

     "I'm sorry to disturb you, General. Especially at this hour, but I saw the panel was unlocked and assumed you were still awake." The tight, black curls on his head were a disheveled heap, his PT uniform wrinkled, untucked shirt, and his shoulders slouched. "I-I know I can get in trouble for being on this side of the ship without a CO escort, but I need answers." He hesitated, debating if he should go back to his quarters.

     "It's fine, Bob. You can come in here and sit if you like," I offered, pushing the chair in front of my desk out a bit. Bob's eyes wandered around my office as he took a seat. "Couldn't sleep?" He shook his head in reply.

     "General Acrux, why did Weave refuse to become an ARC trooper?" His voice was like that of a child's – timid and mild. In my time assigned to the 239th, every interaction with Bob I've had surprised me. My first impression, Bob, disregarding the rank, bluntly asked for a roll off my tray. In our second interaction, he questioned my sanity, landing him a spot in a rescue patrol. Lastly, the moment I promoted Bob and Weave to Private First Class for their courage. While I found joy in pulling an occasional petty prank on him, I never knew what to expect when he'd open his mouth. It was at this moment I realized that I had Bob all wrong. He wasn't careless, lazy, or disrespectful – just unrefined. A relaxed, sympathetic smile painted across my face.

     He studied my expression before realization hit him. "It's my fault," he whispered to himself.

     "It's not your-"

     "He stayed because he thought I couldn't handle it on my own. Didn't he?" He scrunched his eyebrows for confirmation, his voice sharp. "It was all he ever wanted. He gave up the one thing every clone desires to achieve because it's the closest thing we have to feel alive, to feel free. All of it gone for a ragtag Squad?" As the words began flying from his mouth he stood.

     Krell wouldn't have tolerated this. But I was nothing like Krell. I let him speak. I allowed all of them to speak because I valued what my soldiers had to say. Of course, most of them kept their composure, but this was Bob after all. Bob was now on the verge of tears as he took his seat again, throwing his head into his hands.

     "Bob," I said softly, leaning my head down to try to catch his gaze.

     This was a habit I picked up from Gunner; a maneuver greater than any Jedi trick I've learned. A gesture that said, "I'm here for you. You can trust me with anything." I pondered what Gunner would say in a situation like this. He'd go into a heartfelt speech about honor and brotherhood. I wasn't good with words, only with my saber and my fists. A Jedi with no wisdom to share. I had to try. Bob finally lifted his head, his face blank.

     "Weave did what he thought was right. And he did think about you when he made his decision. He stayed because you're his family. You and Indigo Squad mean more to him than being an ARC trooper ever could."

     Bob's eyes fell to his hands shamefully. "I just want what's best for him."

     "Then trust him the way you want him to trust you. You are his brother. Everything he does, he does it for you because he loves you. And you love him. Maybe he stayed, not because you couldn't handle it, but because he couldn't."