Chapter 28: I Choose A Kid Jedi

JEDI TEMPLE, CORUSCANT

BRYKA ACRUX

     It took everything in my power to not wake Gunner at first light. His arms were wrapped around my midriff like a vise, his head nuzzled against the hollow of my shoulder. A relaxed smile rested upon his full lips. The patterns of his breathing tugged at my heart, deep and even – a melody I never wanted to forget, to leave. The chronometer on the nightstand next to the empty glass mocked me with its painful reminder that I'd have to leave him soon. A voice in the back of my head scolded me for my greed. You'll see him later, numbskull.

     Another voice joined in, this one belonging to Krell, whose harsh, unwanted words would forever linger in my mind. "Detach yourself from everything you love. It will only lead to pain and darkness." Is that what he'd done? After losing Shaula, his dearest friend, his brother, and the only family he'd ever known, did he abandon everything he loved? Look what good that did him.

     I shook the thoughts from my head as I forced a long, plump pillow under Gunner's arms as my substitute as I slipped from his grasp. He stirred for a second before adjusting himself, bringing the pillow closer to him, and squeezing it tightly until it was flat against his chest. My eyebrows shot up to my hairline and a smile tugged at the corner of my mouth. My gaze traced the powerful, beautifully carved muscular arms, admiring how they exemplified his radiant golden skin. Kriff. Heat pooled in my stomach and my toes curled as my mind thought of nothing but him–running my hands through those tight black curls, along his neck, his back, his chest–

     I needed to leave. If I stayed any longer, I'd wake him, crawl back into his arms, and be late for the tournament.

     Heat blossomed in my cheeks as Gunner muttered to himself.

     Did I wake him? Did he catch me staring?

     He muttered again, complete and utter nonsense.

     I smiled. "What?" I leaned down towards him, holding my hair back to keep it from smacking him in the face.

     "I want hotcakes...extra syrup...and butter, too." An unholy snore quickly followed his request.

     I tipped my head back, letting out a light-hearted laugh. "I'll get you some," I promised. He didn't hear me. I gently pressed my lips to his temple before scurrying out the door to my room to get ready for the day.

     C3 wasn't too happy about not joining me at the temple, but I assured him that he and Gunner would meet up with me after the tournament, hopefully, with a Padawan in tow. Only service droids were allowed at the Temple during the tournament, and, unfortunately, the BD unit did not qualify. "Don't give me that look," I had said when the aperture lens in his eyes narrowed. "I need you to look after Gunner for me. Can you do that?" C3 perked up at that, giving me a determined and obligatory bleep as a salute. On my way out, I made sure room service would take stacks of hotcakes to my suite. Extra syrup. Extra butter.

✭✭✭✭✭

     It was easy to forget the war as the Temple halls filled with exuberance, bustling with more Jedi than yesterday. I hadn't seen this energy in years, magnificently intoxicating and lively. Akivain nag champa incense danced in the air, hints of lavender kissing my nose. Light from the morning sun cast a pearly glow, making the halls and pillars luminesce.

     These walls no longer loomed over my head, nor did I march down the corridors like the lifeless soldier I'd once been. I was free of the guilt that once consumed me, free from the darkness that clouded my soul. Without that darkness, I would have never found my ability to shine. Without that fear, I would have never found my courage. With recent revelations, I found beauty in the pain and darkness. It made me who I was, made me stronger, but it would no longer control me. I patted the moonstone in my pocket. Today was a new day filled with new opportunities.